Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
exercise
exercise
Health related
Mar 26 2017
07:25:25 PM
Hi my sugar glider blizzard she always tries to escape when she has the chance. i dont know why. is it because she dosent get any exercise? i used to have a wheel but been told it was not safe for them so i took it out and never gave it back. she never really got exercise after that. is that why she escapes?
Health related
Mar 27 2017
12:14:48 AM
Poss Glider Visit Poss's Photo Album MO, USA 118 Posts
Your sugar glider is hyperactive because she's not getting enough stimulace. She tries to 'escape' so she can.

You need a wheel in your cage and that is that; sugar gliders, in the wild, can nearly glide an entire 'football' field length. They are very active creatures.

Wheels in petstores are not going to be safe, because they are not made for sugar gliders, even if occasionally they are indeed sometimes marketed towards them incorrectly.

I had to throw out 200 $ of wheels when an incident occured that resulted in one of my girls needing to have her tail amputated. Wheels aren't something you want to purchase haphazardly, but they're still absolutely necessary to maintain the health and happiness of your gliders.
I believe the Stealth, Raptor and Fast Track wheels are the ones considered safe in the community, if that hasn't changed since the years I've been active on forums.

Keep in mind your cage may be too small as well, and if she doesn't have cagemates she might be excessively bored too, even if she's handled. Which also might spiral into a kind of depression + your glider becoming overweight.
Health related
Mar 27 2017
01:42:18 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I agree with "Poss" that your glider definitely needs an exercise wheel and Raptor and Stealth are great ones. However, my newest glider is constantly trying to escape even though she spends hours a day on her exercise wheel, gets lots of attention, and has a lot of room to move around. Gliders are very curious and like to explore. For this reason, "playtime" is very important. This can be done in a contained, glider proof room. Some people use a tent that is big enough for them to be inside with their glider. A bathroom also works well as long as the toilet lid is closed and all drains are closed/plugged. Also, I learned the hard way that gliders can sometimes squeeze under doors so you'll want to make sure to block these areas.
exercise

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
exercise