Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Boys aren't eating too well?
Food, Diet
Mar 29 2017
12:17:16 PM
So both of my guys are a year old, but they seem pretty small for a sugar glider (we have no way of weighing them right now). We give them honey on our finger and dried papaya as treats, but they're hardly eating their food. I've worried that we give them too many treats, but we honestly don't give that many AND we're bonding, so that's pretty important.

I have noticed that they eat their pellets on and off, so I think I'll take their pellets out at night and put it back in in the morning. Trading off with their food at night. But I wanted to know what a good way might be to get these guys to eat their food? They'll eat the protein pretty easy, but even with most fruits, they aren't eating enough.

They ARE eating, just not enough. I'm mostly concerned about them getting a balanced diet, etc. Currently I am feeding them different food every night, but it consist of some fruit (frozen and thawed) some greens mixed in, protein that is either chicken or egg, with calcium on top. They love certain foods like red pepper and egg, but I worry when putting those in that they'll just eat that (and they do). Anyways, new mommy here. Have had my boys just over two weeks now. I think one of them could definitely use a little weight gain, so I'm just trying to figure out what's best. (Also, we will be feeding them mealworms, we live on a small island, so we're just having to wait to get them. And we will soon!)

I'm sure part of it is that they're still just warming up to everything. They love red pear, red pepper, boiled egg, honey, and dried papaya, and take those pretty easily. One of them I could finger feed honey all day, haha. The other isn't as interested, and of course he's the one who needs a little more weight (just a little!) Other than that they both seem pretty happy. Still scared, but way less crabbing (honey helps ;)

Thanks everyone! I would appreciate any advice. If I'm just worrying over nothing, then great. I would just rather know NOW to change anything. As you all know, diet is quiet the subject with these guys.
Food, Diet
Mar 29 2017
12:22:34 PM
HoneyB33 Joey Visit HoneyB33's Photo Album 44 Posts
Oh! I've also mixed their honey that we feed as a treat with calcium. Since they're not eating their food enough, I figured this was a smart idea. BUT do I ever need to worry about them getting too much calcium?
Food, Diet
Mar 30 2017
12:26:39 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your new additions! Like you said, bonding is very important and it sounds like you're doing a good job with your 2 boys!
The 2 issues you mentioned, are sensitive ones for me because my first glider was very underweight and she also had a calcium deficiency. After changing her diet, her numbers improved dramatically. I found a scale at Walmart (measures in grams) for under $20 so I can keep track of her weight. Most people here will tell you that all pellets are bad for gliders but I do believe much progress has been made over the years and I've talked to several exotic vets who told me about the higher quality pellets. HPW and BML are 2 really good diets out there and seem to be nutritionally balanced. Sounds like you're already feeding them some of the important foods in addition to a regular staple....especially fruits and veggies. Chicken, eggs, and yogurt are great options as well.
Food, Diet
Apr 05 2017
01:44:22 AM
HoneyB33 Joey Visit HoneyB33's Photo Album 44 Posts
Thanks for your reply!

The boys have been eating better. They are honey addicts, so I'm glad that it's mixed with calcium. Been realizing that they are eating a lot of the pellets, so we've been trying to have them in the cage very little. It's good to have the option, but we don't want to feed them those too often. Yes! They eat mostly chicken and eggs. We can't get them mealworms right now, so that's their main protein!
Food, Diet
Apr 05 2017
08:20:11 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Sounds good

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders