Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Newbie here: What exactly to feed my future Gliders?
Food, Diet
May 02 2017
06:36:51 PM
Hello All,

So far i've been given great advice on what kind of toys/cages/etc i'll need to get me started with my gliders.

The one last thing i've been confused on is the food.

This Sunday, I'll be picking up 2 gliders (young male/female), and I still have no idea what to feed them. I looked up the Glidapedia to see some of the home made diets, but it is so confusing (with the ratios) and all that.

I want to make the healthiest diet possible for the Gliders. What ingredients will I need to do so?

Thanks!
Food, Diet
May 02 2017
09:02:36 PM
Bubbies Joey 11 Posts
There are a lot of diets out there that are misleading. Anything with "pellets" as the main source of nutrition is a diet to throw away.

I'm not well versed on all the great diets, but I use BML. All the ingredients you can get from the grocery store and the vitamins you can get from PetCo. You blend it all together and it can last about 3 weeks for two sugar gliders. You also have to supplement it with fresh fruit and veggies. There are specific fruits and veggies though that you have to use for BML because they make up what is lacking in the mix. Here's the link to that diet: bmldiet.com/bml-recipe.html

Here's a website that has a ton of information about the other diets and pretty much everything to get you started:sugarglider.info/gg/

Also, yogurt drops and meal worms(you can find at petco or pet stores in general), and Hersey's white chocolate morsels are great treats, but use sparingly. I give my babies 2-4 worms when they wake up to have tent time and white chocolate morsels to find when I hide them in their cage. Just make sure it's white chocolate without cocoa. That will kill them like it does dogs and cats.

Hope that helps!
Food, Diet
May 02 2017
11:10:01 PM
duari91 Joey Visit duari91's Photo Album 11 Posts
So if I use this diet, can I also give them dried fruit treats?

I already bought some dried fruit for them (coconut/papaya/pineapple/)

The diet mentioned that you have to stick with strict fruits and vegetables, but does that also apply to treats?

Thanks
Food, Diet
May 03 2017
02:44:23 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
In addition to my gliders regular diet and fresh fruits and vegetables, I use dried papaya and pineapple on occasion. They absolutely love it and it's a pretty healthy treat. I haven't tried coconut but I don't see why that wouldn't be a good option as well. Everything in moderation.
Food, Diet
May 03 2017
11:46:29 AM
duari91 Joey Visit duari91's Photo Album 11 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Tiakristin3

In addition to my gliders regular diet and fresh fruits and vegetables, I use dried papaya and pineapple on occasion. They absolutely love it and it's a pretty healthy treat. I haven't tried coconut but I don't see why that wouldn't be a good option as well. Everything in moderation.

The recipe said to give them 1 Tablespoon of each food group (Mix/Fruit/Vegetables) -- So does that mean a Glider eats 3 Tablespoons worth of food each day? (assuming they are fed once per day)
Food, Diet
May 03 2017
05:28:09 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
That's what I do (and that's what the BML diet suggests). There may be leftovers from time to time but at least you know they're getting what they need.
Food, Diet
May 03 2017
09:25:54 PM
Blossom15 Starting Member Blossom15's Journal 6 Posts
Hello, I've had my glider for about 1 yr I've had many in the past. They came from a breeder GraniteStateGlider.com in NH.
I feed my boy dry pellets treats from them a variety of fruits and veggies. A good thing to get in the store is the salad mix with cabbage,carrots,broccoli. I also had a guinea pig he loves fruits/veggies too.
Hard boil eggs are good with the shell because they need the calcium.
Hope we all helped you.
Amanda

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders