GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Male acting aggressive towards female
Question
May 12 2017
12:48:58 PM
Hello everyone,

I adopted a baby white face male about two months ago. He is extremely ornery... it's insane, but I love him so much. I knew that eventually I would need to get him a cage mate because most gliders do best with more gliders. So, I purchased a female glider that was the same age. I have a very large prevue cage that my male is in. My female is in a cage that is smallish (around 2-3 feet tall). I thought that they would become friends quickly and that I could transfer her to the larger cage too, but after two weeks of keeping the cages close next to each other and them acting curious about each other, I have tried to introduce them and it always goes bad. It seemed fine the first time I put my male on top of her cage to crawl around on and so that they could be as close as possible with at least something between them( i was nervous). The next time I did that, he grabbed her and bit her( no injuries) but she freaked out. I decided to try one more time, it was going fine and he bit her again! Even harder this time I think because she grabbed and chattered for a really long time. Has anyone else ever had a problem with this? Any suggestions?
Question
May 12 2017
01:21:54 PM
JLR Glider Visit JLR's Photo Album JLR's Journal Canada 95 Posts
Introductions tend to go better on neutral ground such as a bath tub because then one isn't invading the others home. Scent swapping before introductions also helps (swapping pouches between the two so that they get used to the others Scent)
Question
May 12 2017
05:15:16 PM
athenaa Joey Visit athenaa's Photo Album 35 Posts
I had a similar situation, except the opposite (girl attacking the boy). I swapped pouches for 2 months straight & tried about 5 introductions total in the bath tub before she finally warmed up to him. There's no quick fix, and they may never get along, so keep this in mind. Don't put her on his cage or vise versa, that cage is 'his' and her crawling all over it is something he's clearly not okay with, I think you're doing too much too fast. Start slow, like I said, this may take some time. I'd keep them in separate bonding pouches, tuck one inside your shirt, and the other on the outside, this way they can smell each other but can not see or harm one another. Switch the punches in their cages, put his pouches in her cage, and hers in his, swap after 2 days or so & keep repeating. Don't put the cages too close to one another, they can pull eachother and bite, at least 2 ft apart. After about a month of this try introducing them in your bath tub, be prepared to sperate them in case they ball up. If the intro doesn't work well, repeat all steps until the next intro. It is hard and stressful introducing gliders, its better to get them together. I know this isn't always possible, you just have to be prepared for the work ahead. Best of luck
Question
May 12 2017
10:55:34 PM
CaraM Starting Member 3 Posts
Thank you guys so much for replying. I guess I need to be a little more patient; this could take some time it sounds like. I liked the idea of have one pouch in my shirt and the other on the outside! I think that's a great idea. I'm gonna stop letting him on her cage and be more persistant with the pouch swapping. Eventually I will try an introduction in the bath tub! Thank you guys again!
Question
May 13 2017
02:50:48 PM
CaraM Starting Member 3 Posts
What about cage swapping?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat