Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding
Bonding
Information
May 22 2017
09:51:18 AM
I recently taken two gliders from a lady on craigslist who couldn't keep them anymore. She had the boy, Glenn, since he was little and he was very bonded with her. While the girl, Maggie, wasn't handled very much even before this lady had gotten her. Maggie is about 1 1/2, and Glenn is closer to 3. I'm able to pet Glenn but I'm not sure the best way to try to get him to come on me. He also doesn't care for dried meal worms but I haven't tried live yet. On the other hand Maggie almost wants nothing to do with me. She knows when I call her name and she will peak her head out but she won't get close to me or take food from me. If I catch her outside of the pouch she usually just freezes. I have a desk job during the day but I feel like that would be a long time away from home for them since we aren't completely bonded. I've been reading up on here but didn't know if there were any other tips for bonding. Thanks!!!
Information
May 22 2017
02:29:25 PM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
I take my babies to work with me every day. For some reason, they would rather sleep in my shirt than in their own bed. Since the female is so skittish, maybe you could try some tent time for her. It worked for my female and she was terrified of everything. Also, you could try putting their bonding pouch under your shirt throughout the day. Just go about your daily routine and this will allow them to get accustomed to your scent. If they can sleep with your scent, they will eventually associate you with safety. I don't know if you have tried using the scent pads yet, but you can use them when they're in their cage away from you. I usually put the scent pads under my bra for a day or so and put them in their pouch.
Also, if you can get some live mealies they will love you for it. They were my biggest bonding tool. Just give them some when they're with you, during tent time. I usually do one worm at a time. This way they have to interact with me to get more.
Bonding

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding