GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My Glider is Acting Out. SOS!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jun 05 2017
12:34:50 AM
Hi there!

My partner and I have a 6 month glider which we adore. In the past month however she has been more feisty than normal - we are worried this is due to her not having another glider. She does not want to really spend any time with us, she stopped wanting to go into her pouch and only wants to sleep in her cage or get into the crevices of our couch and sleep in there. She seems really interested and active when we first take her out and wants to explore while we walk around. However, whenever we are stopped she finds any opportunity to jump to the couch. It's almost as if the couch has become her safe haven.

Her cage is very large - it's a PVC cage and I rotate and put in new toys or move toys around on the reg. Her diet is also always fresh fruits and veggies as well as HPW. She sometimes has yogurt treats too.

I am completely lost and out of my element here. I am not sure if she needs another glider or if we are doing something wrong or just if she isn't yet fully bonded to us. She seems to really get a long and like our dog though! They play together regularly.

Please help me understand what we might be doing wrong or how we can better improve our gliders mental health.

Thanks!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jun 05 2017
07:30:07 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I have never had a glider that age, mine were homed at an older age, so I don't know if it's age related. She may do better with a glider, most do prefer having a cage mate or more. However, maybe in the mean time you can try doing out of cage play in a smaller area, such as glider-proofing a bathroom and sit in with her there or try a screened tent (which a lot of people prefer). This smaller space requires her to spend time with you or at least closer to you.

When you are ready to find a cage mate for her, you cannot just put them together immediately. Do research on introduction protocol, and most of the time quarantine is required or strongly suggested, with few exceptions.

Edited by - TJones09 on Jun 05 2017 07:32:08 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders