Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sad
Sad
Health related
Jun 23 2017
08:53:07 PM
My Female and male had 2 babies and my daughter just come in and they were eating one of the babies. My heart is broken. Can you tell me what's going on I'm completely heart broken because I was holding this baby last night and I don't understand. Can someone help me please. Do you think baby had a illness? Hope to hear from someone.
Health related
Jun 24 2017
12:56:46 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Is it the 1st time they have joeys? Sometimes they lose their 1st litter...

Otherwise there can be many reasons why they would do so, perhaps the joey was sick or perhaps the female did not have enough milk for both.
Health related
Jun 24 2017
01:50:02 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I really can't explain what's going on, I just wanted to say how sorry I am that this happened. I'm sure it was traumatic to say the least. Wishing you comfort and health for you and your remaining gliders.
Health related
Jun 24 2017
04:13:52 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
First time parents often do this. It is typical. I like to think of it as an "oopsie" as they test and/or learn what a baby is. Odds are this will not happen on a second litter.

Health related
Jun 24 2017
07:02:05 AM
littlez4k Glider Visit littlez4k's Photo Album 57 Posts
This is like her 4th litter so it wasn't her first ones. After further investigation I still have 2 babies in the cage. She must of had triplets and one was just mal nourished or something. Because I seen the other 2 out last night. Has any of you guys female gliders had triplets before? First time for me and she usually just has 2 of them. Thanks guys.
Health related
Jun 25 2017
06:26:57 PM
Anybody?
Health related
Jun 25 2017
06:40:19 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Oh triplets! I know they can have up to four, but it's very rare. I've never had triplets.
Only twins.

Seems likely that she ate the baby because she couldn't handle having that many. She might not have been able to feed all three, maybe she felt over whelmed, or there was something wrong with the baby.

I am sorry she ate it. Hopefully the others live and grown up fine.
Health related
Jun 25 2017
06:49:33 PM
I've been checking on the other ones every night and they seem a lot bigger then that one was. The thing that confuses me is I didn't know she had three and I'm wondering where it was hiding that I didn't notice it. It wasn't still in her pouch so I'm really confused about that. Any thoughts on that?
Health related
Jun 26 2017
01:54:58 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
They're really good at hiding joeys at times, over a year ago when Oti went OOP I thought during 3 weeks that he was alone, and then one evening his brother Teeboo mysteriously appeared in the nest alongside him, a little smaller but not by much.

I never found out where they hid him for so long, he was too big to just have been hidden in Frejya's pouch and I was manipulating the joey every evenings so I'm quite sure he was the only one in the nest... The only explanation I could come up with is that perhaps their sisters were babysitting one of the 2 in the other nestbox each time.

Edited by - sjusovare on Jun 26 2017 02:01:00 AM
Health related
Jun 26 2017
08:02:33 AM
Yea definately, must of been somewhere because I hadn't seen it no where in the cage or anything until the night that happened. And I know it wasn't in Elsa pouch. Another thought I had is I'm wondering if she was pregnant again and the baby come loose from her nipple and that's why they did that. Just a thought.
Sad

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sad