Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Room is under renevation, gliders 'trapped' in cage!
Behavior
Jul 09 2017
10:12:49 PM
I'll jump straight to the point. i'm worried with how my sugar babies have been acting. my bedroom is currently the only place I can let them out to play (the cage is in there as well) and its currently under renovation and isn't safe to let them out until its finished. other rooms have a hell of a lot of places for them to wander into and get hurt. But for you ask they dont like tent time (the bottom part is plastic and hate when it makes that crinkly sound) and so for the last 3-4 WEEKS I've had to keep them in their cage.

As far as I can describe it, their 'depressed' all three of my sugar babies have decreased activity. they just sleep all the time and only run on their wheel for about half an hour during the night (as far as I can tell) and don't quite eat as much as they used to (large chunk of fruit, small treat of yogurt, bowl of protein pellets and bowl of water) right now their process is they eat all the yogurt immediately, eat part of the fruit, some pellets and water, then slowly eat the rest of the fruit and pellets until there's about a thumbnail-sized piece left when I wake and then that's slowly gone too. (or until its dropped through the cage lol) Before this super extended period they'd eat almost all of it quickly then eat the rest slowly. (this is after playtime would be over)

Their still friendly to me (nibbles and licks for my lil petting) but they just seem. . .slower? The last piece for the room is arriving in two days. I'll finally be able to let them about then or the day after that depending on what comes up. But my question - Is this depression or some sort of biological process slowing with their decreased activity? Should I take them to the vet?

Please let me know what's going on with them! (and I know full well what a bad momma I've been doing this to them but go ahead and rag me about it if you need to anyway >.<)
Behavior
Jul 10 2017
05:47:30 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
In my experience, sugar gliders are fairly resilient to disruptions in their surroundings and routines. Yes, it is easier for some than others based on their individual personality, but they usually adapt well sooner or later.

That being said, it sounds like a lot of reno in the room they're kept in, so my concern would be more to what they've been exposed to as far as paint fumes, dust from drilling, drywall, or any renovation that creates dust and debris. They have such small lungs, so something could have overwhelmed them. I strongly recommend taking them to the vet for a check up, better safe than sorry and sooner is better than latter if there are health issues stemming from renovation conditions.

Don't be so hard on yourself for your predicament, many of us (including me), have had situations arise where there would be disruptions to routines of out of cage play. I have had some extended ones due to some very huge changes in my living arrangements the past few years. I am now set up, schedule wise to offer 3X/week out of cage play, but two of those are fairly short (30min or less, usually less), while one on the weekend is about an hour, give or take depending on them. And, even still, because my living arrangement and space available, they have limitations on their out of cage play also. I'm continuously trying to work on solutions to make out of cage play more engaging as lately they seem to prefer their cage after a short period out. Many just go through stuff and changes, and we just have to do the best we can when we can.

Edited by - TJones09 on Jul 10 2017 05:48:24 PM
Behavior
Jul 10 2017
07:25:13 PM
Annika0130 Joey Visit Annika0130's Photo Album TX, USA 20 Posts
thankfully, no, the renovations are not THAT extensive. its more like I'm getting new furniture and there's currently a lot of places they can crawl into that I wont be able to get them out of. (not without a hell a lot of time and bribes) so until the last piece of furniture arrives (my bookcase with sliding doors, no more book nibbling for them anymore~) and I glider-proof everything I dont feel comfortable letting them out with all the nooks and crannies.

Thanks for the tip, I was starting to get worried >.> its nice to hear I'm not the only sugar baby parent that has occasional issues with play time. I'll keep this post updated once everything is finished.

*Fuzzy God Love*
Behavior
Jul 19 2017
01:35:27 AM
Annika0130 Joey Visit Annika0130's Photo Album TX, USA 20 Posts
UPDATE -

so after a slight delay in the last piece of furniture getting delivered. I finally let them out on 7/16. they were nervous of the changes and pretty much stayed by the cage. (it was hard getting them to come OUT of the cage in the first place)

tonight of 7/18 I opened the cage again, (I had to pick them up and set them down out in my room again) glider #1 Ember hung out on me before exploreing my bed and curtains, glider #2 Frost has still remained by the cage all night until a couple mins ago when he joined Ember up on the curtains. and glider #3 Ash curled up in a pocket of one of my robes hanging for a while and is now running about the floor of my room.

Its really nice to see them playing about again. I extremely doubt I will be changing my room again so I can FINALLY get back to my schedule of every other night with them~
Behavior
Jul 23 2017
07:50:19 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I'm glad to hear it's getting back to normal. Thanks for the update!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders