Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
PLEASE HELP ASAP! Partial tail loss and fights
Question
Jul 30 2017
07:01:14 AM
    I am having quite a bit of sugar glider drama right now and would really appreciate advice.

I have had my sugar gliders for about seven years now. From the moment I had gotten them, there was one sugar glider that seemed a little bit sweeter in a way, the one that would let me hold her easily and never seemed to make a fuss. I still love them equally and tried to get a special bond with the not as social glider.
     Recently Daphne ( the somewhat sweeter glider) hasn't been as snuggly as she has before with the other glider Velma. One day about a week ago I noticed her tail looked a little funny. It was actually kind of hard to tell unless you were looking for it, but her tail was shorter! A bit of bone was sticking out of the end, and this freaked me out! It seems like it was recently, because I did research and learned that a lot of people just put Neosporin on it and the exposed bone will fall off. I'm currently doing research in my area to find a vet for a checkup, although her tail seems much better now.
      The reason I bring this up, is because I wasn't sure how this occurred. I wasn't sure if it was an aggression thing, or maybe older age. I read a lot about tail loss being from thinning tails and over grooming, but it don't think that's it.
       I had a funny feeling I needed to be observing them at night. I just didn't feel right going to bed without making sure everything was going good between them. I've never observed them actually being aggressive, they always seem to get along. Sure enough last night, Daphane ( tail loss, snuggly one) came right up to Velma and totally started scratching her on multiple occasions! Velma seems like she was keeping distance, keeping her food where she wanted to and vice-versa, but Daphne did not seem to like that! She was being that one sibling who when Mom is around is innocent, but when she's gone she was being a little devil child! As soon as she saw I was there she would stop, and Velma would only fight back when she started it, obviously not enjoying the situation.

In my head a lot of things could have happened with the tail now. It could have been over grooming, maybe a quarrel between them, and honestly at this point it sounds like my so-called sweet sugar glider is a little butt and honestly maybe she had it coming. ( of course that does not mean I am happy about the situation and really wished that she didn't have to go through that partial tail loss)

Can someone please help me!!?!! I swear I've had these gliders for a lot of my life and now I feel like I don't know them at all! It's really discouraging. I just want them to be safe and happy, and with their older age hopefully live happily until they have to pass on, but so far this does not seem to be happening!

** when I saw this happening I separated them, after I made sure they were actually fighting and not playing. Should I reunite them in their pouch when I hold them or in the morning?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat