GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help! Sick glider
Help! Sick glider
Health related
Aug 26 2017
01:15:11 AM
Hello all.
I am writing this because I am not sure what is wrong with my baby and I am worried sick. This morning I woke up and my gliders were awake. Me and my boyfriend were watching them when I noticed that my female was clung to the cage but not moving at all. This was obviously unusual so I pet her through the bars and got no response. I got her out of the cage and she was completely lethargic. She was unresponsive and not moving at all except to occasionally sway her head back and forth strangely. I immediately called my vet and they suggested I take her in immediately. After the vet saw her she basically didn't know what was wrong. Her best guess was a nutritional deficiency but I have her on LGRS Suggie Soup. The vet gave me some calcium and glucose and sent me home. When I got home she stayed in her pouch with her cage mate (who has been acting completely normal) for awhile but when she exited the pouch she was walking around slowly and seemed to be completely unaware of her surroundings. She was trying to jam her face in between the bars of her cage. I took her out and she was walking around but seemed very disoriented, she would have walked straight off my hands if I hadn't prevented it. She then started to get burst of panic where she would run wildly until she ran straight into something and wouldn't stop until her face was smushed up against something. She shows no interest in any food or water and hasn't all day. When I offer food or water she doesn't react at all.

Sorry about the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated. I am worried sick for my baby. She is 2 years old.
Health related
Aug 26 2017
02:26:27 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I can certainly understand your concern and how scary this must be. It's good that you are keeping such a close eye on her. I think taking her to the vet was a very wise decision. Is your vet very familiar with sugar gliders? Did they do any blood or fecal tests? When I brought my first glider home, she showed very similar behavior as yours. It turned out to be a calcium deficiency which was quickly corrected with supplements. Hopefully the "cure" for your little one will be as easy and she will show quick improvement. However, I would definitely follow up with a qualified exotic vet, especially if she's not eating or drinking. Don't be afraid to ask questions of your vet or get a second opinion if necessary. The well being of your sweet baby is of utmost importance and she deserves the best care! Take care and please keep us posted.
Help! Sick glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help! Sick glider