Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I NEED HELP! New to gliders
Food, Diet
Nov 04 2017
06:31:50 PM
Okay. I recently purchased two beautiful female sugar gliders named Coral and Sparky after some research. They are perfectly healthy, and I have no concerns about that aspect. However, I was wondering if you had any tips for me about the diet I offer. They seem to eat a good balance of wet and dry foods.

The fruits & veggies I feed them between 9-11pm when they awake, removing it the next morning to ensure they eat protein dry food aswell. I feed them a small food bowl filled with SMALL skinned apple slices for them to nibble and suck on because I know they love their fruits and veggies. I also use carrot slices, occasional bananas, and any other sugar glider safe fruit or veggies on hand. I occasionally give them a little amount of sweet yogurt to go with it, and I use Low Fat Plain yogurt from the local grocery store.

For dry food I feed them the same size bowl as their wet food, and they seem to eat a good amount during the day to get their proteins in. I leave it in their 24/7, and tend to change it out as needed to make sure it is filled well and not stale. I keep their dry food in all day and night to ensure they eat it while they don't have sweet fruits or vegetables to eat.
They are looking very healthy, names are Coral and Sparky. I love them to death and want to look out for their safety and make sure I am properly dieting them so they can live a prolonged, healthy life :D. All help and tips are welcome.

Food, Diet
Nov 04 2017
07:10:18 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
Hi, and Welcome to our wonderful world. The people on this board have so much information and are so welcoming:; I wish I would found it sooner.

You are doing a wonderful job with the type of foods that you offer. I did notice that you skinned your apples; this isn't necessary as they won't eat the skin. I am not sure if you are aware of this (I know I wasn't) but gliders need the ratio of calcium and phosporus. Someone can tell you the exact ratio or reason why.
I wasn't doing it properly when I first started.

I now use Critter Love Complete (wet) and Happy Glider (dry). My gliders do not nibble during the day so I feed the pellets with their food (not always). I found that if I left it in, they would sometimes not eat their main staple. She also gives you the informations for 4 different salads (served w/ the wet) so this eliminates any food worries.

www.critterlove.com/store.html

For treats I use, apples, carrots, dried chicken necks, live mealworms (mine don't like dried), yougurt drops, and various other dried fruit.

I have only had my gliders 4 mos but am so in love with them. Coral and Sparky are lucky to have you.
Food, Diet
Nov 04 2017
08:08:58 PM
Coral and Sparky Joey 19 Posts
Thank you so much! Yes, they used to leave the skins in there and it made quite a mess. Do you suggest keeping them on or? I will check out that site for more food options! I got these cute little guys in January and it's been a wild ride!
Food, Diet
Nov 05 2017
12:29:58 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
Yes, they are/can be very messy. I have the fleece cover over my cage so that the back can't get too messy. My cage has a removable bottom liner (not sure if that is the name) so I bought doggy pads to catch their droppings. I like using this as it is easy to.

I had a kitchen (basically a plastic cover over their food) and that also helped. I now use 2 bowls on a lid and remove it every morning.

If I were you, I would leave the skin on as that is what the seller did w/ me; I figured she knew best.

Looking forward to more of your adventures!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders