Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What to do..
What to do..
Question
Nov 21 2017
04:15:18 PM
I have 3 females who until recently were getting along. The oldest (by approx 3mos) has suddenly started hissing and chasing the runt of the bunch. We are leaving on Thur for vacay and I am concerned what may happen while I am gone. Since I will have a housesitter/pet watcher, I don't want to put added duties onto him.

Help please!
Question
Nov 21 2017
08:48:56 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
How long will you be gone? If it's not escalating quickly, a couple to a few days may not be too bad. I'd mention the situation to your sitter and ask if they can keep an eye or ear out, especially the runt, make sure she's okay.

It may be just establishing dominance, and once done they'll coexist fine. Or it could be, at worse case scenario that the runt is being rejected from the "colony". If you notice anything escalate rapidly that the little one may be in danger, or you will be gone for more than a couple to few days, separate them before you go away. If that's the case, she'll be better and safer alone for the time you're gone, then you can figure it out after you return.
Question
Nov 22 2017
11:33:41 AM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
Thanks, we will be gone for a week. I have been monitoring them for the last 3 mornings (sleeping downstairs) and this morning it appears that she is being territorial over her eating food and will not let either girls near. I am going to separate her from the group just to be safe. I need to check out the girls to ensure they are not hurt (I thought I may have seen something).

They are fine during they day and sleep in the same pouch; she even barks for them in the am. I just don't want to come back and find any of my girls injured or worse...

Happy Thanksgiving.

PS.. I hate having to separate them
Question
Nov 22 2017
12:58:12 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
if the problem is being territorial over food, one potential solution is to put several food disheson opposite sides of the cage, she can't guard all of them at once.

Edited by - sjusovare on Nov 22 2017 12:58:47 PM
Question
Nov 22 2017
05:06:30 PM
I did that last night. I didn't get up everytime she made the sound but did see her chasing the other female (beside the runt). Am putting her into the small cage tonight and feel so bad as it is so small compared to her normal cage.
Question
Nov 22 2017
07:07:26 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Make sure she has activities to do, and when you return, work on re-introducing her back. It's sounding like a dominance thing, but you don't want to risk injury to your gliders while you're not there to do anything about it. You should have peace of mind that way. Many times I've read that temporary separation often checks that aggressive behavior, though not guaranteed.

Try to enjoy your holiday!
Question
Nov 22 2017
10:46:39 PM
Thanks! I will try.
What to do..

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What to do..