Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cracking fur
Cracking fur
Health related
Dec 29 2017
06:04:29 PM
I have been feeding my sugar gliders BML diet since I got them in March. I follow the recipe exactly and I try to add minimal corn since they seemed to be filling up on that and gaining weight. However I am noticing that their fur seems to be cracking. Ive heard this is common with a poor diet and I've noticed it a few times before now but it seems to be worse recently. Is it likely this is due to the cold/dry weather? They seem healthy and happy otherwise but I'm just being a paranoid mom so any advice or soothing words would be great!
Health related
Dec 30 2017
09:05:46 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Cracking fur is typical in dry air conditions, though it is associated in health concerns due to poor nutrition. This usually will be accompanied by other symptoms, you may need to watch closely to catch as gliders hide illness. However, BML has been a successful diet used by many, so I would tend to conclude that in their case it's not diet/health related, but most likely dry air conditions, this has been the case for my gliders. Even though I did loose my Lulu, my other two have been fine and show no signs of distress or illness. My gliders have been on critter love diets, but had gone short-term on EN brand HPW.

I don't believe diet had anything with my Lulu's passing, she was an easily stressed glider from the beginning. She was an Over-groomer, which I had consulted vet about when first signs of baldness appeared, this was years prior to her passing, so I believed the reoccurrences were related to her just being easily stressed, as it's the case in some gliders (personality/disposition), I do feel though that the fact she was easily stressed contributed to her shortened life, as she appeared in her normal state prior and because of the condition I found her. She was about 6 yrs going on 7, being rehomes, I have no conclusive OOP dates for any of my gliders.
Health related
Jan 03 2018
10:15:38 PM
DelightfullyMad Joey Visit DelightfullyMad's Photo Album 45 Posts
My gliders fur is doning thay as well she seems super thin to me to when she sits down i can see and feel her spine. I feed her the leadbeaters staple from gliderkids I follow that recipe to a t. She is also getting fruits and veggies every night as well as exotic nutrition pellets. She seems really active at night and is the only one in her cage. If anyone has any ideas on what could be causing it I'm worried and don't understand why she seems so thin.
We do keep our house very warm and it does get pretty dry in here maybe that's the cause of the cracking fur? And I've heard good things about the diet as well as the pellets so I don't understand why she is so thin.
Health related
Jan 08 2018
07:37:29 PM
jinglebells0518 Joey 25 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by DelightfullyMad

My gliders fur is doning thay as well she seems super thin to me to when she sits down i can see and feel her spine. I feed her the leadbeaters staple from gliderkids I follow that recipe to a t. She is also getting fruits and veggies every night as well as exotic nutrition pellets. She seems really active at night and is the only one in her cage. If anyone has any ideas on what could be causing it I'm worried and don't understand why she seems so thin.
We do keep our house very warm and it does get pretty dry in here maybe that's the cause of the cracking fur? And I've heard good things about the diet as well as the pellets so I don't understand why she is so thin.

Mine aren't thin but the fur cracking is similar. It could be that yours is lonely. They are typically best in pairs as they like to be social. If she is thin but doesn't seem depressed she may just not be getting enough food try increasing the amount until she only leaves a small amount the next morning
Cracking fur

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cracking fur