Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
HELP I ACCIDENTALLY FED MY GLIDER CHOCOLATE AND HES NOT DOING GOOD
Rescue
Jan 01 2018
01:54:15 PM
So I’m new to the sugar glider community and got my glider about 2 months ago he is now 6 months old I’ve enjoyed my time with him he is very playful and likes to sleep in my bra but about 2 hours ago he got in some of my dark chocolate that I had left unwrapped next to his cage and he ate a lot of it like it was a full candy bar and then after I found him it was about 2 thirds of the way finished i immediately took him to the vet knowing that chocolate isn’t really good for animals and the vet said that there was not much he could do to help and my sugar has started to look more and more sick as the evening progresses any advice is needed
Rescue
Jan 01 2018
02:16:01 PM
freeglider Starting Member 4 Posts
Update he’s not getting better and he is not moving around hardly at all
Rescue
Jan 01 2018
09:57:53 PM
He’s getting steadily worse I need help guys someone please help
Rescue
Jan 02 2018
07:15:01 AM
Wishes Joey Visit Wishes's Photo Album 41 Posts
m.dog-health-guide.org/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dog-health-guide.org%2Fdogeatschocolate.html&utm_referrer=#2796

With dogs a vet will induce vomiting before two hours of ingestion has passed
Also Giving charcoal to absorb toxins
If your vet woln't (can't) do things like that
Dark chocolate has high levels of toxins
He should be kept cool and hydrated

Did the vet offer any advice at all
I would call (don't move him unless someone will see him)
Ask a few vets

If it has been a long time he will already have the toxins in his blood and their woln't be anything that can be done but treating symptoms vomiting (I don't know if sugar glider can)
Diarrhea
elevated heart rate
overheating
Labored breathing
Seizures
Are things to expect

Sugar glider have a fast metabolism so it should go threw his system quickly

If he makes it 48 hours I think everything should pass threw his system by thin I don't know if it could cause long term damage to the liver or heart you would need to ask a vet

Good luck. I always have mine with me and have wondered what if he tried to get at what I was eating (chocolate coffee ) I don't think I could stop him if he decided to get at it
Rescue
Jan 02 2018
07:15:14 PM
Thank you for the support wishes I’ve called the vet again and he said he doesn’t know much about sugar gliders and there wasn’t much he could do but he said i should try to let him rest and only allow him to have water so far he’s not been doing good and it’s been about 18 hours since the call and he hasn’t moved from his pouch and hasn’t been barking which he normally does I’m worried that he’s dead but I’m too scared to touch him
Rescue
Jan 03 2018
12:29:22 AM
Update he has passed he died about 3 minutes ago
Rescue
Jan 03 2018
09:02:37 AM
Amanda212 Starting Member 9 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I read your posts, but unfortunately I did not have any advice to offer :(
Rescue
Jan 03 2018
05:16:47 PM
Thank you Amanda

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat