Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Quiet glider suddenly crabbing while eating
Behavior
Feb 21 2018
07:09:52 AM
Sky, the quieter and calmer of my two gliders, has been acting strange lately.

Shortly after receiving her nightly meal, she's been crabbing...bad!

She's still eating, but she'll take a piece of food and hunch up in the corner of her cage while crabbing louder than she's ever crabbed before. The first two times this happened, she also was rubbing her head/nose against the bars of the cage.

If our other glider, Luna, goes near her, Sky seems startled and will crab louder. It seems like she sometimes even strikes at Luna.

This phenomenon doesn't happen every day, but it's happened about three times in the past couple weeks. It seems to subside after the gliders have finished their dinner.

At first I thought it was the temperature of the food--especially considering the head-rubbing behavior (brainfreeze?). Sometimes we use frozen fruits and Sky doesn't really like cold things. But today I was very careful to heat up the fruits and veggies to a nice temperature, yet the crabbing happened again.

It also seems to happen regardless of whether the lights are on or not.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing Sky to behave this way? She looks supremely uncomfortable during the crabbing episodes, though other than that, she seems the same as always.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Behavior
Feb 21 2018
07:58:35 AM
Riconlilomommy Joey Visit Riconlilomommy's Photo Album DE, USA 35 Posts
Have you ever noticed your other glider taking her food from her or just being aggressive over sharing the food? You might also want to try checking her teeth or mouth. If she seems uncomfortable that may be why.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders