Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Safe live insects/branches
Food, Diet
May 02 2018
01:52:40 PM
Hi. I just recently purchased 2 male glider joeys around 9 weeks OOP. 

FIRST QUESTION: What live insects can I give my babies besides 
Crickets, grasshoppers, mealworms 

I was looking at roaches, rice flour beetles, wax worms, praying mantids, bean bettles and "fishing" worms (earth worms, etc). www.joshsfrogs.com/live-insects-feeders.html?gclid=CjwKCAjww6XXBRByEiwAM-ZUIBDWxsTxx1RJWOUg6QDz3Jtef1pPlSIFtAKbTNWPvDt7vHqNKPH5xBoCbw8QAvD_BwE

Also do you think it would be okay to purchase the small clear shrimp they sale for fish tanks at pet stores to put into a small food bowl of water for them to fish out and eat. 

I have read that they eat small lizards and birds, along with frozen pinky mice. What sort of lizards can they be fed, anoles? Others? I feel as though giving them something live to chase and hunt would help mimic living in the wild. 

SECOND QUESTION: i am also looking for "live" plants, not artificial, that i can put into their cage. I did find a site that sales eucalyptus branches and leaves for them, (www.eucproducts.com ) i know this is okay, but are there any other branches or leaves i can vary for them? 
Maybe some that they can suck nectar out of? 

Thank you in advance for any advice. Hope this can help others as well.
Food, Diet
May 03 2018
04:00:27 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
I give mine mealworms and waxworms. They love both, but go crazy for waxworms. The only things with waxworms is you have to watch when they eat them. Because they're skin is very thin and soft there has been instances where gliders were choking on them because they didn't chew and were getting the skin stuck in their throats. Mine have been very good with eating them though. I'd stay away from crickets, grasshoppers, roaches, earthworms, etc. You def don't want to give them anything found outside the house regardless.

I'd skip the shrimp, lizards, birds, pinky mice, etc.

What diet do you currently have them on?

As for plants I have ordered the eucalyptus from Eucproducts before and my gliders love it. They love tearing off the bark from the branches and also like the leaves. I'm holding off from ordering a new batch until probably June. I want to make sure there are new spring leaves available. :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders