Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Rejection? Should they be pulled?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
May 29 2018
05:40:42 AM
Hi everyone I am new to the site this is my first post. I have had my 2 gliders for almost a year now. I adopted them when they were about 6 to 8 months old and managed to establish a pretty good bond. My female got pregnant and the joeys have been OOP 3 or 4 weeks now. I was concerned at first that mom wasnt producing enough milk so I changed her diet a little and started supplementing a couple times a day in the meantime. She seemed to be doing better and both have been seemingly good parents. They come when they cry, take turns coming out to eat and play (until recently, now they both come out at the same time.) But they still go back to check on the babies. This week they have been ignoring cries more which I have read can be normal as they become older. My main concern is that I am seeing the mama crab and squirm and "tssssss!" when the babies try to nurse and also when they try to ride on her back. Yesterday I noticed both babies have a small nip mark on their face by their nose. Its not too awful but still sad. Ive been applying neosporin to heal it. My question is, is this the beginning of rejection? Can joeys been rejected this many weeks OOP? Should I pull the babies and start hand raising?

Another issue is I am pregnant with 1 week until due date so I am very concerned about not being home for a few days with the babies and also if I had to hand raise it could prove challenging. Sorry for the long post. Any advice is appreciated!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders