Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Getting family comfortable with my gliders.
Scientific Information
Jul 17 2018
12:39:29 AM
Hey guys! I have had my male sugar glider named Felix for a year and my female named Dracarys for about 4 months. They have been introduced and have been bonded to both me and each other. My female had her first baby (so excited!) recently and I am so happy for it to be grown. I have a smal problem with my family though, my mother is so uncomfortable with my gliders and I don't know why. She won't pet them
Or anything, won't even acknowledge them. I got her to feed them for me because I went out of town for a couple weeks and when I got back that was all she did. No real interaction with them, just basic needs. I was able to have her hold Felix once but she gagged the whole time. I've tried explaining that they are like mini flying koalas to her but even then they still make her extremely uncomfortable. Any advice on getting her comfortable with them and willing to interact?
Scientific Information
Jul 17 2018
05:36:05 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Some people just don't like small furry creatures, that's what I've found. A good example is a friend of mine who absolutely hates my gliders (no offense) but loves her horses. She just likes big animals, and small ones are gross to her. I take no offense, that's just how some people feel. So, maybe your mom just doesn't like tiny mice-like creatures.

The fact that your mom fed them and was willing to hold one even though it bothered her is very sweet, and shows how much she cares. I think that effort is worth noting.
Scientific Information
Jul 21 2018
04:24:41 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sounds like your mom has a rodent aversion and all rodent-looking animals trigger it. I would suggest teaching her more about them, if she learns more about them then she'll understand them more and possibly like them more as well. Also just gradually exposing her to them will probably help, look up "exposure therapy". Don't force them on her, just have them around her and when she is more comfortable around them then offer for her to pet them and then when she's ok with that offer for her to hold them.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders