Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
PREGNANT
PREGNANT
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 06 2018
11:34:28 PM
I think my suggie is pregnant and I have no clue what to do. When we got them we were told the male was neutuered but I guess not. Also, my male just died...or was murdered by the female.

The female has a very wet spot on her belly near her tail and there is a small pinkish red area about half way up her belly which i think is the pouch opening...
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Feb 21 2019
02:35:31 PM
Adeebdee6964 Joey 19 Posts
I don't know much about the wet spot but I breed sugar gliders and i've never seen the symptoms you explained, you should wait for more experienced peoples responses, but here's what I know :) you won't see any signs of pregnancy in a glider, as they don't get fatter, after about 20 days(roughly) a small joey will climb to the pouch, it will be the size of a grain of uncooked rice so you won't see it. It will stay in the pouch growing for about 60 days(2 months), during this time, don't touch the pouch as the joeys can't open and close their mouths yet and if they detach from the nipple they will die. Rather, wait for the joeys to come out of the pouch, don't hold them too long, they'll get cold. Once they open their eyes at 2 weeks old try and look at their stomach, if it has a small opening on the stomach it's their pouch, indicating it's a female, if it doesn't have a pouch it's a male and you'd need to neuter him to keep them from mating when the male is older than about 12 months. Also, if you think she's pregnant, up her food a bit, gliders don't over-eat so if she eats it all she may be pregnant, as preggo gliders eat more, if she's a bit crabbier than usual that is also a symptom of pregnant gliders. Make sure to give her some more protein, it's important for expecting suggies so they can have enough milk! She'll need an extra boost of nutrients if the male can't help her out with the joey(s) as they can have 2 on average, 3-4 being a rare occurrence. The pouch may be red-rimmed because she's pregnant, but it could also be an infection :) I hope this helped! ^^

P.s, I could be completely wrong and she might not be pregnant all together and the wet spot might be pee XD If the wet spot stays a long time though, go to a vet and get a checkup, and about the pink pouch you said, it could be an infected pouch! Get that looked at by a vet, if you catch the infection early it shouldn't be too difficult to treat.

Edited by - Adeebdee6964 on Feb 21 2019 02:40:38 PM
PREGNANT

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
PREGNANT