Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Older glider seems very possessive of new cage mate :(
Question
Oct 14 2018
01:52:37 AM
Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time posting.

I got my first female glider Tofu (3 months oop now) a month ago, and despite her seller telling me she was tamed, i don't believe that was the case. From the start she was physically vicious: always looking for a reason to scratch and bite me when she could, not allowing me near the cage without barking. But eventually, with a lot of scent bonding and pouch bonding, we grew a lot closer with each other. I would hand feed her and it came to a point where she would let me bundle her up to rub her tummy.

It took a while but i finally found her the perfect cagemate. A verified tamed female glider who i named Taco (2 month oop). Immediately upon getting her I was very surprised at her personality. She was curious and friendly, and adapted quickly to the cage and immediately fell in love with Tofu. They were rolling around on the first day and now refuse to sleep separately from each other.

The problem is, Tofu seems to have become extremely possessive of her, and aggressive again towards me She has gone back to her habits of crabbing if i get too close to her fleece cube, or lunging and biting me if i try to bundle her. She refuses to let me touch Taco if they are together, and even wraps her tail around her

I'm worried that getting Taco has brought me and Tofu back to square one. Now that she has a new play mate, she no longer wants to spend time with me and wants me to leave her alone. Last night I tried to bundle her up as I normally do and she immediately panicked and left deep scratches all down my thigh. This surprised me as she has been very careful not to even hurt me in the slightest for almost a month now

Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone know what is going on? I feel depressed thinking all our hard work getting closer was now for nothing, and now I just have two gliders who will be unable to play with me because Tofu is too possessive of her new buddy...

TLDR; Older glider has become possessive and aggressive towards me since the younger glider has come along.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders