Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Has my glider rejected her Joey? please help!!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Feb 28 2019
11:27:12 PM
First time owner of a glider with babies, it was kind of an accidental pregnancy, mostly I waited too long to get the male fixed. I did mountains of research uped her protein and added more calcium rich fruits and veggies. I let her do her thing only peeking into their sleep pouch to watch the babies grow and move. I thought I was ready for anything and now I'm kind of floundering.

Anyway, she has two Joeys one nearly oop ( or he already is I'm not sure) and the other
maybe a week or so behind. I keep finding the younger one (still mostly shinyish pink with a back stripe and the beginning of graying) moving around freely in the pouch. I haven't ever see the older sibling away from mom. I believe I saw both babies nursing earlier only to find the baby again just moving around the pouch.

She has interest if the baby cries and he is still plenty warm. I've mostly found him climbing around his father or searching for his mom's pouch. I've checked his hydration and his skin sticks a small amount but doesn't remain tented.

Should I step in or am I being a paranoid new mom? She's had two joeys prior to my owning her one that went off without a hitch and another she unfortunately cannibalized.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 01 2019
12:49:15 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
As long as the joey is in the sleeping pouch and not wandering around the cage, and that the parents go back when they hear the little one cry, it's just normal and there's no reason to worry.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 01 2019
02:39:26 PM
Halle Starting Member 7 Posts
Thank you for your advice, unfortunately I found the remains of the baby this morning. Thankfully the older joey is still very healthy and being looked after by mom.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 05 2019
07:58:16 PM
SillySuggies Joey Visit SillySuggies's Photo Album 43 Posts
Perhaps it was more luck there. The baby seemed to have something wrong with it but the mom kept care of it anyways. Good job, mommy.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders