Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New adopted glider diet tips?
Food, Diet
May 17 2019
08:58:58 AM
I just adopted a pair two days ago, male and female. The person I purchased them from could offer NO information, other than "the boy might be old and he looks like he might die soon". She says she got them from.a friend who couldn't take care of them anymore, so she had to sell. I got them home, checked them out, and was instantly VIBRATING with rage when I saw the state the male was in. His nails were so long, they curled back into his foot, he could barely shamble around on his 'palms'. We trimmed them down and literally had to pull some of the claws out of his little paws, even now, I feel sick. He can barely hold his head up, his legs seem weak, and his coat is brownish. I've been looking up how to tend to a special needs gliders, he has HLP. I've been trying to offer him mealworms, crickets, or chicken for some protein but all he wants to eat right now is pear and yogies. We have to handfeed him, because he cannot even grip food with his paws and is pretty disoriented when he tries to. I am thankful he is in my care now, as opposed to dying in that tiny pet carrier/transporter they were in prior, and I will spoil and love him for however long I am blessed to have him, but I need some tips on what to feed him. I've purchased some calcium powder to add to his diet, what should I try to feed him? Sorry for the long post and going off on a tangent, I'm just at a loss when he turns away everything I try to feed him...plus I am still pissed that this very obvious problem was not tended to before I got him and his mate.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders