Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sudden Loss of all 3 Gliders - help
Health related
Dec 26 2019
01:02:35 AM
I just received news that my three Gliders had passed.. My fiancee and I are out of town on vacation and we trusted his 19y/o son to stay home and take care of the gliders and the cat and dog.
I need the most help deciphering why they passed. The way that they were found is the most weird thing I have ever heard of. Just to cover bases, they have been on the same diet (exotic nutrition) for over 6 months and have not been introduced to any new toys/pouches/ect. my gliders were from a responsible breeder who provided lineage and I have had them for nearly 5 years.
The son had been feeding them the same way I do, as instructed and I left written instructions in case he forgot. He fed them last night and they came out of the pouch as they normally do to say hi and eat all the good stuff out of the food, and then go back to sleep. The gliders were kept in our office and we kept the door closed so that the cat did not harass them. He came home today (Christmas.. yay..) and went to feed them and found they had passed.
My immediate concerns were: carbon monoxide poisoning (new construction, been having issues with heater), toxic water, and heat stroke. We called the fire department and they did not find any high levels of CO. He let the water run for a while before he filled their bottles and they had been drinking this water for several months. Also, our house is kept at ~70F so I dont believe it was too hot or cold for them because that room is usually warmer by a few degrees and the heater had not kicked off.
Here are the more gruesome details. All three gliders were at different spots in the cage, two on the bottom and one on a shelf above their pouch. They were all sprawled out, arms, legs, and tails extended and their wings even stretched out a bit. (or so im told.. i cant look at the pictures yet) He said he hasnt seen any signs of cuts or physical issues, and their food from the previous night had not been touched.
I plan on having an autopsy done on one of them, but I dont get home for another few days. Im beginning to believe it was the water.. but I'm not sure and I dont know what else could have killed them all so quickly.
Also to be clear, I do not blame his son or believe it was his fault. We had him tell us in detail exactly what happened over the last several days and he did nothing different from our normal routine.

Thank you all in advance for responses and trying to help me figure this out
Health related
Dec 26 2019
01:16:16 AM
DubDub Starting Member 2 Posts
After being more concerned about the local water quality, I went to my cities website and this is what they said about the source and treatment of the water:

"The City receives its water from six deep-water wells that pump directly into the water distribution system and storage reservoir. The City does not treat the water with anything. The water comes out of the ground clean and pure."

I did email them asking for the concentration report and if another can be done to see if there were an significant changes.
Health related
Dec 27 2019
07:19:07 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I think the only person who can really give you insight is whoever does the autopsy.
My suspicion would still be carbon monoxide. Gliders, like birds, are so small that they are sensitive to anything inhaled and wouldn't need the same level as a human to affect them. A small amount that might not affect a person probably could still affect a glider, from all I've read. Even the fumes from a heater would make me nervous.
I hope you get the answers you need. I'm sorry this happened to your fur babies.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders