For the sake of educating anyone else in this situation: I scheduled another appointment to fully remove the abscess which means cutting a hole in her cheek. They would culture and biopsy it. My vet had me pull antibiotics so that hopefully in a couple days enough bacteria would grow to culture and biopsy. As soon as I pulled the antibiotics her swelling started to go down. In a 24 hour period of not receiving antibiotics its almost gone. Ill be calling my vet tomorrow to consult, and hopefully postponing surgery in the hopes that if swelling is going down the abscess will go away without such an invasive method of removal (especially after 3 trips already, I would happily spare us the 4th visit). My thoughts are that maybe some of the bacteria became antibiotic resistant and it was somehow perpetuating growth to continue antibiotics, or that the general stress of giving her antibiotics twice a day was contributing to growth. She really was not a fan, neither was I. Needless to say I'm not really sure why, but taking her off antibiotics helped a lot.