GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please Help!!!!
Please Help!!!!
Health related
Aug 14 2020
11:14:12 PM
Hi!

Im new here, but Ive had my twin girls for 8 years now. My dominant girl, Aurora, has given her sister Saphira a dominance wound and then exacerbated it by grooming. Saphira is on an antibiotic and is acting normally.

I have been monitoring the wound closely and it has been healing, but it seems Aurora has done it again today. I wanted to try not separating them because they have never been apart. After I noticed it tonight I have since separated them. I have a critter nation, two-story cage and have been able to close off the two tiers and they are still able to see each other.

My concern is that theyve never been separated before. I have 6 years of veterinary background and feel this is the right choice in order for Saphira to heal, but I dont want to cause depression or irreparable damage to their bond.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
 Look what I found on Ebay
Health related
Aug 16 2020
10:27:24 PM
KWelch90 Starting Member 3 Posts
I really thought this would be the place to get advise and support from other glider parents.........guess not.
Health related
Aug 17 2020
12:50:14 AM
aapuzzo Joey Visit aapuzzo's Photo Album 16 Posts
It seems this forum died off in the last few months. I think separating them is better than one glider getting wounded. Maybe let them have supervised visits. Did you see what caused them to fight? One of mine is food aggressive. Is it a toy?

For food aggression feed them a little more and earlier before they wake up so they never think there won't be enough food. I just make sure they both get hpw because that gets slurped up first.
Health related
Aug 17 2020
08:19:55 AM
KWelch90 Starting Member 3 Posts
Thanks for responding!

I assumed it was food aggression as well. I have always fed them before they get up. The only instance Ive seen Aurora display dominance is when I put Saphira back in the cage with her after giving the antibiotic. Maybe Aurora got jealous of this because she could smell it?

They have been doing pretty well since separating them. The only thing Ive noticed is some over grooming around Saphiras ears. Im spending extra time with them, so hopefully that will resolve itself in time.
Health related
Aug 17 2020
06:28:28 PM
aapuzzo Joey Visit aapuzzo's Photo Album 16 Posts
I am not an expert but I noticed my cats wouldn't get along when one came back from the vet since they didn't go together. My cat that would go to the vet was only separated for maybe 2 hours. Far less time then they get separated in different rooms of the house. My conclusion was one cat smelled different. Gliders are very scent driven so maybe the medicine changed her scent. Maybe handling them changed their scent which you may have had to do to give the medicine.

Edited by - aapuzzo on Aug 17 2020 06:29:02 PM
 Look what I found on Ebay
Please Help!!!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please Help!!!!