GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Travelling/Pet-Sitting
Travelling/Pet-Sitting
Question
Oct 04 2020
09:24:55 PM
Hope everyone is doing well!

My boyfriend and I own 2 male sugar gliders. We take their maintenance and attention very seriously and have both developed and amazing bond to both of them easily, for which we are extremely grateful for because it takes time, tenacity, and in my opinion sometimes pure luck. Side note, our gliders get along with each other very well.

That being said, my and my boyfriend love to travel. In the past, we have found close, trusted friends that have successfully fed and cared for our gliders when we are out of town, but mainly when we are on vacation our sitters only feed them and socialize with them while they're in the cage for a very short time (AKA not long/meaningful playtime or attention with people they trust), but it has worked out. Our gliders have very forgiving hearts, another plus. But I always feel guilty when I leave them (in caring hands) for even just a day.

My main question is, is it a bad idea for us to be traveling so much when we care for them? We like to take 1 week vacations at least 3 times a year, and a few random weekends here and there. Is this too much traveling and is it responsible for us to leave our gliders with someone else for more than a few days? They seem to not be affected by it so far, but I really want to make sure there isn't something we are missing in terms of their well-being.

We am looking for any input concerning travel or glider sitting concerning our situation. We are still pretty new glider parents, and are open to any advice. Thanks!
Question
Oct 20 2020
09:48:38 AM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
Hello madam!

If there is a way you can travel with your gliders, that is usually a good idea. I've done both and can promise they will be at LEAST mildly stressed out either way.

However, make sure they have plenty of treats and love while you are gone. I've only ever sent my sugar gliders to one person to be cared for. This gives them the opportunity to remember his scent from visit to visit.

I leave some of my clothes/Sugar glider hoodies with my friend every time I go so that they can be loved with my scent around to lessen their stress levels.

My biggest worry with my sugar gliders is weight fluctuation when I travel, if they get stressed out they can lose weight rather rapidly. So ensuring their treats and food is always ESPECIALLY delicious for them is usually a very good idea.

I don't think it's too much travel. Just try to recreate home wherever they go :D
Travelling/Pet-Sitting

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Travelling/Pet-Sitting