Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bald Flaps/Patagium
Bald Flaps/Patagium
Health related
Nov 20 2020
05:38:39 PM
Hey Guys!! This is going to be a bit of a long post but i need some advice because i am truly at a loss...
My husband and I recently had a bit of an accident with one of our females, Mochi. Not too long ago (the 9th to be exact), Mochi ended up getting stuck underneath the glider kitchen that we give them (cake carrying tray with holes in the side and the top of the lid). She was there for some time and we had noticed because she nor her cage mate made any noise to alert us...she ended up getting pretty dehydrated, hypothermic, and was in traumatic shock. She pulled through after an emergency vet trip where she was admitted overnight, given fluids, reheated and fed an emergency diet to bring her blood sugar levels back up. With some follow up special care at home and some medication and antiseptic solution for her minor wounds she was feeling good as new. (important ot note she had no broken bones or internal injuries, we had all the bells and whistles done to make sure she was okay) Her energy has been the way it was before the incident and she's been doing a lot better with getting around, and we finally starting sleeping at night again without being afraid that she would pass...

*It is important to note we took shifts watching her for almost a full week after the incident because she has a history of ripping her fur out when she is stressed and we worried about this but she had no such behaviour after the incident*

Recently, however, we noticed that she has large bald spots on both of her flaps, the left being worse than the right, that either wasn't there before or just wasn't bad enough for us to take notice as I checked her over physically every day. The skin still seems healthy, it's not irritated or inflamed or anything, just missing fur. We did some searching but didn't find anything about missing fur on the flaps, just the head and back for the most part. We have a couple of theories (anxiety, overgrooming, etc) but we can't pinpoint what it could be. We were hoping we could get some ideas or even solutions from you guys here, any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you! I can update with pictures later if need be she just doesn't seem to stay still long enough for me to really try and capture them lol.

Edited by - Little_Miss_Glider on Nov 20 2020 05:47:25 PM
Bald Flaps/Patagium

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bald Flaps/Patagium