GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Owner here, Need advice!
Question
Dec 12 2020
11:41:19 PM
Hi!
I'm a new owner of two wonderful sugar glider babies. They are 8 weeks old, and they're names are Elli and Bean.
Bean has been off the bat super friendly. Meanwhile, Elli has been complicated. Since Wednesday, I have had them, and I did hold Bean that day and try to hold Elli that day, but it was a mistake. She made that noise when they feel threatened, and I just have been giving her her space. I have not touched either of them since as I have read to leave them alone to get used to their new environment, the smells, my voice, seeing me, etc.
The thing is, they're always sleeping. I am aware they are nocturnal animals, but I am up till 12am, and they are still sleeping sometimes till 1 am. I don't see them because I have to go to sleep by the time they wake up, but I feel like they're not getting accustomed to me. I tried to feed Bean a mealworm today through the cage, and she just wasn't up for it; she went back into the pouch.
I'm not sure if because I also changed their diet, maybe their behavior is affecting them? They used to be fed only kibble, but I read that the BLM diet is really good for them with vegetables and fruits, and I began feeding them that, but it doesn't seem like they are enjoying it as much. I stick a couple of kibbles in there to make sure they are eating, but I'm concerned they're not eating as much as they should. I know the BLM diet consists of all the nutrients they should be receiving, but if they're not eating it, then they're not receiving any of it.
Once the week passes, I tend to do some interactions with them. As I have to begin bonding with them, right? Or should I wait more than a week for them to get adjusted to their environment? When I do begin the bonding process, what should I do with Elli as I walk around the cage and she's growling. It's like whenever she senses my, presence she growls. Bean, I have no issue with, and I believe bonding with her will be easy (I hope). But Elli is where I'm concerned about.
Sorry for my rant!
So basically, my questions are, Do you think the diet is fine? What can I do to ensure they are eating their food and receiving the proper nutrition? How long should I wait until I bond with them? ( I received them this Wednesday) How should I bond with them (mostly Elli) when the time comes? What can I do about Elli? How can I get her to be like Bean because she bites and growls?
Sorry for the many questions, but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing and training them properly!
Thank you so much, and I hope to hear from you guys!

Edited by - SaltySloth on Dec 12 2020 11:49:32 PM
Question
Dec 14 2020
11:49:04 AM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
Hello!

Elli and Bean are adorable names, first off
secondly, the transition into new diet should be slow and steady, otherwise there is too much newness going on. I feed my gliders a variety of fruits and veggies as well as Exotic Nutrition's kibble food on top of it. Some days they eat lots of veggies and no kibble and other days it's the other way around. Gliders like variety just as much as we do.
Secondly, gliders take time to bond. But they can bond while sleeping and you ARE allowed to wake them up as well. My gliders got used to being fed at around 10:30-11 pm and are now awake around that time almost every single day. They are also babies still, so they need some more sleep than the adults do due to growing and such.
Allowing your gliders to get used to their environment is a BIG deal, so good job!!
Do you do work at home? Where is their cage in your living area? is it anywhere they can hear you moving around during the day?
If they have a specific spot they like to sleep in, put a T-shirt that you've worn (so it smells like you) in by or on that spot (heat rocks are a great place to do that.. though not every glider parent has one and that's not a bad thing!)
I keep my gliders with me a LOT throughout the day and always have. mine sleep in a pouch so I often will just lift them out and stick the pouch into my shirt/hoodie while I go about my work (or watching a movie or something that isn't moving around a lot so they can sleep well)
getting them into a bonding pouch can be a trial of it's own, so start by keeping the cage around where you work and getting them used to your voice and such. They will calm down but it takes time! don't get discouraged.
I also have gotten my more difficult glider used to me by sticking their FAVORITE treats on my hand and just resting it in their cage when they are awake. it takes patience but they will smell the tastiness and often after some time will be brave enough to get close and snatch a snack off of you. Just be very still and quiet so they forget you're a huge and terrifying creature that they think wants to eat them.
Remember, they are eensy teeny tiny, so you look like a GIANT monster to them. That's okay! They'll realize how fabulous you are soon. Keep at it and feel FREE to message me if you want!
Question
Dec 15 2020
04:14:56 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
Bonding takes a lot of patience and time. When i got mine, my little boy Ink bonded very quickly, but my female Dreamer took a lot longer. She was skittish, she would crab and bite and want to be anywhere away from me. My advice is to just keep trying. Stand by their cage and talk to them through the bars - get Elli accustom to the sound of your voice. Hold them in a bonding pouch while they're asleep. You can also take little squares of fleece with your smell on them and place them into their pouch - that way they get used to your smell, too. Be persistent. It might take a while, but Elli will warm up to you.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders