Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Sugar Momma, 2 15 month joeys
Behavior
Jan 15 2021
01:18:08 PM
Higuys! Thanks in advance for advice and tips!

Questions:
1.Am I being impatient with bonding?
2.Could my Joeys just have opposite personalities?
3.or Could there be a health problem with Nameless?
4.If it is just bonding issues what can do to help Nameless?

So me and my boyfriend recently got two 15 month old joeys who are brothers.( one is named and Sideburn and the other is still nameless) We were lucky to get them from someone local so we got to play around with them with the original owner and immediately fell in love.

We got them home and as we were trying to get them in their cage one of them flew out and we had a struggle getting him out of the Christmas tree. We arent sure which one it was though because at the time we still couldnt tell them apart.

Anyway jump forward a couple days and we started the bonding process, after Sideburn willingly walked onto my boyfriends hand. And they both have been taking treats directly out of our hands. We only waited a couple days because they werent crabbing at us or making noises when we came up to the cage or even tried to pet them (they are both cool with us petting them)

Heres where the real concern has started. We took both of them into a small guest bathroom and just opened up the pouch. Sideburn was hesitiant but after a couple minutes he was out and running around, climbing on my boyfriend and running over my legs. But Nameless (I will call him this until we get a name i guess lol) he wouldnt come out of the pouch, he would let us pet him but he just started shaking incessantly. We kind of jumped the gun I think and ended up kind of forcing him to get out, he climbed up onto me and nuzzled his way into the robe that i was wearing and was comfortable there, he stopped shaking and just kindof chilled.

Second day we took them into the bathroom it was a very similar situation. but this time we let nameless just stay in the pouch. He continued to shake anytime we tried to pet him so i just simply held him in my hand while he was still in the pouch, which he seemed okay with. Sideburn crawled into the pouch with nameless and it almost seemed like he was trying to help get him out lol (it was adorable) and it seemed to help. i was sitting indian style and Sideburn climbed down into the spaces between my legs and Nameless followed but started shaking again, and just wanted to hide.

Behavior
Jan 18 2021
11:50:28 AM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
Hello!

First off. Bonding takes time so be patient!
Secondly. Nameless could be a bit cold or frightened of new territory. Are you playing with them at night? During the day my gliders want to sleep so they scurry right into my shirt to sleep.
My glider, Gidget, bonded to me very quickly. Whereas her brother Bobby hated me for a solid 6 extra months. (He's also just grumpy. I'm sure Nameless will be lovely soon!!)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders