Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New mamma and really need information
Question
Jan 25 2021
08:30:40 PM

[list][*] I recently got a little SugarGlider. He’s 3 years old and was badly mistreated and honed in a very small cage. His name is Joey. I don’t know necessarily how to bind with him other than letting him make the moves when he’s comfortable. He was fed fruit and nectar drops from his previous owners. I recently started giving him meal worms, and noticed that he gets aggressive with me when it comes to the worms. But when I feed or clean the cage, he’s quite calm. I don’t really know where I’m getting at, with this post. But I don’t really know what to expect from him and how to bond with him. He has a pouch that I made him from a crown royal bag. And I put a cloth and a small blanket with my scent on it, inside his pouch. So hopefully it’ll make an improvement in him.
Just some friendly advice would be amazing. Cause I’m new to this. And I just want to give him all the lovins he deserves.
Question
Jan 26 2021
08:28:28 AM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
Hello dear!

I would first recommend purchasing more toys, pouches, and other such materials for Sugar Gliders ASAP. More variety will help him not get bored, and you can swap out pouches and such when dirty.

Second, do you have a food plan for him? What are you feeding him?

Third, where is he in your house and what cage is he in?

Fourthly. Continue to be around him, continue to pet him if he will let you. Let him out in your bathroom or somewhere secure and small (shut the toilet lid so he doesn't drown!!) to play in the evening with you!

If he was already bonded to his previous owners, complete trust will take time. so the biggest piece of advice I can give you is PATIENCE. BE. PATIENT.

As for that, keep him with you as much as possible, whether sleeping in a pouch around your neck, or a hood, or pocket, or sleeve. He will bond best when WITH you. And he will NEED your company if he is alone.

You are doing very well thus far! Keep it up! I'm here to help if you need anything!
Question
Jan 26 2021
08:38:30 PM
JoeysMamma Starting Member Visit JoeysMamma's Photo Album 4 Posts
I’m so glad you replied. I’ve been super nervous about all of this. But to answer your questions, I did buy him some bird toys for right now. He has a little mirror and some dangly toys, I have a ferret hammock and a pineapple house for him along with his pouch he normally sleeps in. Which is a crown royal bag. Right now I feed him apples, mandarin oranges, mango, celery, carrots, kiwi and for treats I give him live meal worms and these gerber baby organic yogurt melts.
I make sure he has fresh water everyday and on occasion I’ll get him organic mango juice or apple juice and put it in a tiny bowl for him (he LOVES that)
I sing to him every time I feed him. He seems to love itsy bitsy spider and twinkle little star. He’ll greet me at the door to his home (cage) when I have his food or when I come home from work. I work 6am - 3pm. But I make sure in the morning he has food and everyday after work. I held him maybe twice, but normally have him in his bonding pouch with me until I go to bed which is around 9.
I’m just afraid to pet him now because after I introduced him to mealworms, he literally is in a frenzy and has bitten me a few times when I tried feeding him. So, I try not to come into contact with him unless it’s through his pouch.
Question
Jan 27 2021
05:55:43 PM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
What I'd recommend for the frenzy is feeding bits of food off of your hands. Less mealies if he's going to bite over them. Get him out in the evening/morning (SOMETIME WHEN HE IS ALREADY AWAKE OR ABOUT TO WAKE UP) and play with him in the bathroom like I said. That will help enormously. Suggies who are hand shy will still climb you happily
Question
Feb 04 2021
09:07:30 PM
Okay so I followed the steps you said to take. He stil bites, and now when I try to take him out to play, he barks at me and jumps at me making this scary noise. So I don’t know what else to do. I feed him and talk to him and give him attention through the cage and he seems to be less aggressive that way. I’m really worried about him. And why he gets mad when I try to take him out. Or try to bond with him.
Question
Feb 04 2021
10:31:24 PM
Okay so I followed the steps you said to take. He stil bites, and now when I try to take him out to play, he barks at me and jumps at me making this scary noise. So I don’t know what else to do. I feed him and talk to him and give him attention through the cage and he seems to be less aggressive that way. I’m really worried about him. And why he gets mad when I try to take him out. Or try to bond with him.
Question
Feb 05 2021
06:49:29 AM
Buddlespit Starting Member 1 Posts
It really is a matter of being patient. You aren't who he's bonded to. It will take time to make you his. As for the biting, understand that they will learn. If biting makes you move away, then biting works. If crabbing makes you nervous, then crabbing works ("jumps at me making this scary noise"). He's forcing you to make a decision. Sugar gliders require a ton of work that you have to be willing to put in.

Four months ago, we got two joeys. One would crab and bite (Buddle), his brother (Snuffles) would be lovey-dovey. Buddle has drawn blood once, but I didn't draw back, yell, jerk or anything else showing I was scared of him. Now, he sleeps in the arm of my hoodie (instead of his bonding bag). He still tries to chew our fingers, and he will still crab if he's woken suddenly. But once he's awake, he trusts us.

I would also like to suggest that you find another glider. These are very social community animals. I've heard stories (grain of salt needed) of gliders dying of loneliness without a second glider.
Question
Feb 08 2021
11:21:35 AM
Song3 Starting Member 6 Posts
I have 4 gliders and my first pair were only 12weeks when i got them the second pair was 3 years old. this is a sensitive subject because im still working with my second pair. They have bonded with my younger pair quite well and now they come to the front of the cage to get treats from me and when i hold their sleep sack i give them treats all together and i pet them so they know the feel of my touch and i talk to them. Taking them with you will help out a lot and hand feeding them makes a difference it may take long than with younger ones but keep at it and be patient with him no telling what kind of trauma he had. that is so sad.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders