Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Only 1 sugar glider
Only 1 sugar glider
Question
Feb 09 2021
10:34:42 PM
I recently got a sugar glider from my Aunt after a couple months of research. I knew I wanted 2, but as my Aunt only had one available, I took it. She said it would be fine, and that because she doesnt have another friend she would be more bonded to me, which seems true enough as she definitely loves me. However, though I spend pretty much all of my waking hours with her, when I go to bed and she is put in her cage im worried she is lonely.

She has a variety of different foods (mealworms, grapes, pineapple, banana, and coconut), a wheel that she runs on, several hanging platforms she can go on, several sticks that branch across the cage for her to walk on, and 4 different toys on the bottom of her cage. Like I said I do spend practically all day with her, and she only spends around 8 hours alone, but im still worried.

One of my Aunts sugar gliders is pregnant, and I will most likely get another one from her. However, it will take a while for her to actually give birth and even after that the baby sugarglider has to stay with her mom for 2 months. So, what im asking is is it fine for my sugar glider to be alone for another 2-3 months (btw ive already had her for 2 months, and she is around 4 months old)?

Also, though my sugar glider seems happy, I read somewhere that she needs calcium to stay healthy. There is probably a good bit of calcium in her pellets, but she doesnt seem to like them as much as her other foods, so she barely eats any if at all. Ive read about a couple diets online, but they all vary a ton and I dont really know which one to pick.

Should I just take out most of her other foods so she has to eat the pellets, and even if I do are just pellets mealworms and random fruits enough? Also, if I were to get a specific diet, which I would be 100% fine with as long as my sugar glider is happy, which one should I get?

Thanks for the help
Question
Feb 09 2021
10:38:44 PM
Benji101 Starting Member 3 Posts
Also, idk if this is important whatsoever, but my sugarglider is leucistic, with all white fur except a tan spot on her head and translucent ears.
Question
Feb 10 2021
11:03:41 AM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
Congrats on your glider. Luesistics are beautiful!

The sooner you can get another glider the better. They can become lonely and depressed and self mutilate without company. When you get another glider, be sure to get a female or a neutered male. If you don't do this, you will get inbred babies (unless you have lineage, but if you're getting another one from your aunt, I'm guessing that they will be closely related)

Sugar gliders should be on a staple diet. This will keep them healthy and help them not to develop HPL (caused by a lack of calcium) and a host of other problems. Here is a list of staple diets. info.petsugargliders.com/staple-diets/
Pellets shouldn't be fed as the main diet. I am currently feeding the TPG diet. It's fairly easy to make. It takes some time every month, but once you get used to it, it's easy. If you go with that diet, you'll also need to buy the calcium supplement that goes along with it. You can get that here www.thepetglider.com/products/tpg-complete-multi-vitamins-with-calcium-360.
It's expensive, but the diet CANNOT be fed without it.
I'm going to be switching over to the OHPW diet. You get get the ingredients off of etsy here www.etsy.com/listing/754753538/sugar-glider-ohpw-triple-pack?ref=related-2.
I haven't tried it yet, though, so I can't say if it works well or not.

What cage size do you have? Where did you get your wheel?

Having sugar gliders isn't easy! You're doing great. :) Thanks for reaching out ! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)
Question
Feb 10 2021
07:00:32 PM
Benji101 Starting Member 3 Posts
My cage seems to be glider friendly, as it isnt made from wire and doesnt have a middle bar so their tails get stuck.

The cage I have currently seems fine for just one sugar glider, but im probably going to get a taller one when I get my second. It is 18’ tall, 28’ wide and has about 8’ of depth.

Ya, I was planning on getting another girl from my aunt. Thanks for the help!
Only 1 sugar glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Only 1 sugar glider