Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How to figure out which diet to feed
Food, Diet
Feb 14 2021
07:45:02 PM
New to all of this, still doing research before committing to bringing a baby or two home. Trying to plan which diet to feed. Do I wait to see what the breeder is feeding them? Do I need to pick just one diet? Can I switch back and forth between diets? I want a diet that I can depend on without having to order components and wonder if the shipment will arrive before I need it. I am also reading conflicting info on what is good for them and what isn't. Example, strawberries, one article says they are good fruits and another says they are too acidic. Corn, one says good and another says not good. I tried to read an article from another thread and it sounded like you had to be a chemical engineer to figure out calcium and phosphorus in foods.

I was getting excited to be a sugar mama, but now I'm getting worried that I may not give them the right nutrition. Help!
Food, Diet
Feb 15 2021
09:23:28 AM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
Hey! It's awesome that you're doing a bunch of research.:) Sugar gliders are a commitment, but they bring so much joy to life!
You could wait to see what diet the breeder is feeding, but that's not necessary. If you pick one of the staple diets, you should be good. There are several to choose from, you just have to find one that you like. :) I have been feeding TPG for almost a year, and I've recently decided to switch to OHPW. For most of the staple diets, you'll have to buy things online. I think you can get everything from local stores if you do the BML diet.
There is SO much conflicting info about foods to feed gliders. Corn is very high in phosphorus and can cause weight gain, so it isn't recommended. I feed my sugar gliders strawberries, etc. and they haven't had trouble. *shrugs*
As far as the calcium to phosphorus ratios...it can be really confusing. As long as you are feeding a staple diet, they should be getting the nutrition that they need.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders