Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Worries About Owning A Glider
Question
Feb 27 2021
10:03:35 PM
Hello, I'm Very Worried About If I should be worried about owning Glider When at school. Note: I'm Taking 3 years Too Learn about them and learn as much as possible before I get them. I have Non Aggressive Dogs that will not disturb my gliders in my room and are not worried about that. I'm Also worried about what Cage I should get for them (Two Boys I'm hoping to get) if you can leave a link that would be great. And addressing the school issue I would like to know if I'm not able to take them to school should I or should I not leave them in their cage together. Should I also be worried about fighting or biting each other while I'm gone? How long should I leave them in their pouch for and or will they indicate when they need out of their pouch? Please Notify Me Tips and Note that I'm trying to create a very comfy and safe home for them to live in. (I'm planning this out for three years so note I don't have them yet, but plan to when I'm almost an adult (I'm 13 so 16 years old when I'm going to buy them) and thing I will more responsible with owning myself a pet.
Question
Feb 28 2021
11:59:06 AM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
Hey, welcome! That's awesome that you're planning and researching gliders now! :)

I have two gliders right now and they are an absolute joy. I love them so much and absolutely love talking about sugar gliders, so I hope you don't mind me leaving you a long response.

A cage for two sugar gliders should be at least 24 inches deep by 24 inches wide by 36 inches tall with 1/2 in wire spacing. This is the cage that I have here.
www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/prevue-hendryx-large-black-flight-bird-cage-1320068?cm_mmc=PSH-_-GGL-_-CAL-_-PME-_-PET-_-AQU-_-0-_-PM_GGL_FY20_SBU05_SH13_SmallAnimalBird%26ReptileSupplies_BirdSupplies_PLA-SMRT-_-0-_-0&gclid=CjwKCAiAm-2BBhANEiwAe7eyFFhJMXordt5gnOc8KDFgKDXUbqubdfLVaGCPfyLS_ACaVClwpv2sRhoCh2kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sugar gliders are nocturnal, so they'll be asleep during the day while you're at school. You can take them in a bonding pouch (be sure to put a piece of apple in with them so that they can stay hydrated) and they'll just sleep. If they want to get out of their pouch, they'll let you know. Mine get up around 10pm and go to sleep around 6:30 AM.
If you're not able to bring them to school, they will be perfectly happy at home. They'll just be asleep all day while you're gone. If they're going to bite and fight each other, it's most likely that they would do that at night, when they're awake as opposed to doing it during the day when they're asleep.

Another thing to look into would be diet. Sugar gliders need a good staple diet other wise they can develop HPL (hind leg paralysis) which can be fatal if not treated. A staple diet will keep them much healthier. They should never be fed a diet only of pellets. I will add a link to good staple diets. I currently feed OHPW and previously fed TPG. Both are great diets, in my personal opinion.
info.petsugargliders.com/staple-diets/

If you like learning by video, there is a GREAT youtube channel called Sugar Glider Diaries that has a ton of info and fun videos. :)

If you have ANY other questions, don't hesitate to ask! :) Like I said, I love talking about gliders, so I'm more than happy to answer. :)
Question
Feb 28 2021
12:03:40 PM
ChaseHartnett Starting Member 0 Posts
Thank You so Much For the info, i have bookmarked both links and subbed to Sugar Glider Diaries for tips as always Thank you very much and have a nice day
Question
Mar 01 2021
09:21:28 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
Awesome! If you need anything, I'm here! :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat