Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cracked fur
Cracked fur
Food, Diet
Apr 11 2021
03:40:46 PM
Im really confused right now about their diet because my 3 gliders fur seems cracked but i feed them bml and that is a good diet for them right? i heard it could be from humidity as well so could it be that? im just confused rn
Food, Diet
Apr 11 2021
05:59:05 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
Can you post a picture?
Cracker fur can be a result of poor diet, but bml is a good one. Humidity also plays a part. The humidity should be at least 40%, but it's better higher. You could get a humidifier for the room and see if that helps.
Pictures
Apr 13 2021
03:19:49 PM
SillySuggies Joey Visit SillySuggies's Photo Album 43 Posts

i think i uploaded it here? Not sure how it works

Edited by - SillySuggies on Apr 13 2021 03:20:21 PM
Food, Diet
Apr 13 2021
03:59:00 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
Yep, it uploaded.
Hmm. It could be because of humidity. I'd go to the store and get a hygrometer and see the level of hydration in the room. Winter can cause dryness and cracking of fur - just like it does with human skin and hair.
Have they always been on bml?
Food, Diet
May 12 2021
11:58:41 PM
SugarGliderMum Starting Member 7 Posts
hey, so sorry to do this but I can't work out how to post my own post and I really need help with my glider. I rescued her from a bad owner and I think she's got multiple problems, I live in a country where you would not want to take them to the vet because they are more likely to hurt or kill them than help them. I have 3 other gliders in another cage and they don't really get along so she's all alone, but I dunno how to make a post so I can't really ask for help, if someone can explain this to me I'll make a post as soon as I can, my suggies are my life and I'm glad I resued her from the home she was in but I don't completely know how to help except changing her diet and giving her friends(she was in a hamster cage by herself)
Food, Diet
May 18 2021
09:31:16 AM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
Hello dear!!

What are her symptoms?

Feed her lots of mixed fruits and some veggies. give her hard boiled egg if you think she needs more protein. Lots of love from you will help her as well in general.
Food, Diet
May 27 2021
11:36:42 PM
Hey, thanks for actually replying, i had kinda given up on anyone helping.
so about 2 weeks ago or something i rescued this glider from a bad owner, she didn't have a name so i called her Cinnamon, cause i thought she was a cinnamon type, but on closer inspection i realised she was just really badly treated, she is a lion type tho, she's got more goldy coloured fur under the dirty layer and she's got a short nose and wide head.
she's been malnourished so her fur is all yellow and cracked and had stuff stuck in it. she was overgrooming, but has stopped now and it's starting to grow back her 'eyebrows' she was alone in a hamster cage not much larger than herself, it was also rusty. she's now in the big cage with 3 other gliders, one more will be going in with her soon after it's weened from it's mother(its around 3-4 months, almost as big as the other ones)
she's missing some claws(not the thumb ones, i know they don't have claws) her ear was bitten off(not by my gliders, she's the boss so they don't mess with her) her tail was also partially bitten off and broken in 3 places. when I got her she sounded like she had a lung infection because the way she was crabbing, but it's all gone now.
none of the other gliders in with her are sick and she's getting much better, she does pee in the pouch sometimes which is annoying and worrying.
she's in with all girls(i only own girls, sold the boys cause my mum didn't want me having anymore gliders) she's the alpha and always gets to the food first.
i feed them baby porridge for the vitamins, blended vegetables(bml diet i think, something like that) fruit, yoghurt and mealworms as a treat.
I do distance Ed so i take her out alot, she never bites but she does crabb is you reach into the pouch when it's only her, with the other's she's fine though.

i live in a country with no vets that would be safe for her although i don't have a problem with spending my money on them.

they're my babies and i just want the best for them...

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you for actually replying!!!

sorry this is a verry long post XD
Food, Diet
May 27 2021
11:38:35 PM
oh, i forgot, i also feed her scrambled eggs(no oil, salt or anything) and boiled quail eggs and she loves them, she goes for it even before the mealworms.
Cracked fur

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cracked fur