GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider aggressive to neighbouring cage
Question
May 29 2021
02:02:37 PM
Hello there,

I'm planning to introduce my lone female glider (lost her cagemate) to another pair of gliders.

The problem is whenever I put the cage close (but far enough that they can't grab each other's tail) the pair will start to be agressive(?) In a sense the female will lunge to the cage at look at the lone female. Is she being agressive or was she just being curious? The lunging gets kind of loud so it makes me worry. For the time being I used a blanket to cover the lone glider cage where the other gliders cant see her.

Another question is my lone female glider has been making this high squeaking sound following with a hiss. Some times it goes squeak hiss, and some times it goes squeak hiss squeak hiss hiss. May I know why is she making this sound? I have been observing her, whenever she pees or poop, she doesn't make that sound.

I'm planning to do swapping of sleeping bags once their new sleeping bags has arrived.

Would appreciate if I can get any answers. Thank you
Question
May 30 2021
11:09:13 PM
SugarGliderMum Starting Member 7 Posts
I'm no expert but one of my girls does the lunging and gets quite aggressive, I think it's because she's territorial since she's a mother(not recently but the youngest is still with her) I've just left her in a separate cage with her youngest baby. My other 4 gliders are all together but I'm not going to introduce the mother because I know that she will ball up with the newest glider I bought, the rest are her daughters but she won't recognize their smell so she'll probably hurt them.
is the pair two females or a male and a female?
because I think the girl in the pair could be 'guarding' her male, if not, she's probably just guarding her territory.

I've heard my gliders doing the squeaking and then hissing before, it happened when I separated the two males(dad and son) from the girls because I was going to sell them, this was mainly on the dad's part because he lost all his girls and was 'crying' but the mother also did a similar thing when the new gliders were put into a cage next to her.
so your girl could either be grieving or being territorial.

I'm no expert and please don't take my word for it, check with someone who knows more, but that's what i think's happening.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders