Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutering question
Neutering question
Health related
Jan 05 2022
05:49:56 PM
I've been astonished at how much some, maybe all now, are charging for glider neutering. Having had several gliders fixed in the past I do not think I paid more combined.

In Northern Illinois so far I cannot find a vet doing this for less than $200 +, average cost being $320 after wellness check.

This is not normal. Sadly my former vet has since retired and the practice no longer sees gliders. My current glider vet's prices were easily more than double the highest estimate I got. She is a bit flasher and located in a city where she can easily get away with it. That said her normal visit fee does not even come close to reflecting what that neutering fee is. I was floored. I knew it would be higher than average based on everything else but not so much as it is.

That said I'd frankly buy another cage at the same or possibly cheaper cost.

Am I wrong? Sincerely, is this the current normal and if so since when? If anyone has knowledge of anywhere in preferably Northern Illinois or Southern Wisconsin of a vet who you yourself would trust with your own gliders that ALSO does glider neutering at a lower base price please let me know.

I am not being sardonic when I say that alternatively I'll buy another med/large cage. I am weighing that option. He and his daddy are already pals as it is. They play the most as a team out of the 4 (total).

Any and all advice welcome even if it is something you'd think I do not wish to hear. Thank You!
Health related
Jan 05 2022
07:57:42 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
Unfortunately, neutering does cost that much nowadays. I had two males done when I lived in Atlanta. I checked out several vets and the prices were insane. The least expensive was $150, I believe, and it was a vet I didn't feel comfortable with. I had to pay $250 for both of them in the end. My vet was awesome, but it was so so so expensive.
Health related
Jan 06 2022
02:51:36 PM
devoted101 Glider Visit devoted101's Photo Album USA 108 Posts
Even if I could find $100, that would be less than half the amount quoted to me so far. The search continues
Health related
Jan 06 2022
06:00:35 PM
I hope you're able to find someone. :(
Health related
Jan 06 2022
06:23:38 PM
devoted101 Glider Visit devoted101's Photo Album USA 108 Posts
Huzzah, I think I am in luck. I found a vet referred by another glider parent and it is not far, it is "the old price" and exhale. That said, I *almost* would not mind keeping him intact since he is a "wow piebald" but ... no.

thank you again
Health related
Jan 06 2022
08:45:27 PM
Awesome! So glad!
Hehe yes, I felt that way about my lovely reverse stripe mosaic male. Your little guy is beautiful!
Neutering question

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutering question