Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My Sisters Female Sugar Glider is Making Nasal Sounds
My Sisters Female Sugar Glider is Making Nasal Sounds
Question
avatar
Nov 19 2022
04:05:10 PM
Its been for almost a year now- but it was a sound that showed up rather than her doing it always. She makes this sound whenever she breathes and Im worried if its UTI after reading other posts a little similar to mine- I havent seen anyone talk about nasal popping noises though- heres a sound clip of both when shes more resting and when shes getting treats as an example of how noisy it is.
More Calm, Sleepy Noises (at the end I click to let them know theres treats) -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FiGiqVOqR_4JW-3zXMdImi3RAlQWO6fn/view?usp=drivesdk

Awake and Anticipating Treats -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qh6iJ8drzHe6wwcI-Ka7wRPvkjMeJ3L9/view?usp=drivesdk

Theyre (both) about 6 years old now (we didnt get a lot of info from the original owners when we did get them) so Im wondering if its just a habit picked up? But if not please let me know if you can! Thank you.
Question
avatar
Nov 29 2022
09:32:15 AM
GandKaidos Glider 53 Posts
Does she make any sounds when urinating? any kind of hissing or squeaking?
my gliders pop at each other and often at me when they're in a good mood. The second audio sounds more like it's just talkative... But if she's showing other signs of discomfort it could very well be a UTI. Have you been able to feel for any swelling on her tummy? ruling out the possibility that it hurts to breathe and such?
Question
avatar
Nov 29 2022
05:54:13 PM
Daniwolf9005 Starting Member 4 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by GandKaidos

Does she make any sounds when urinating? any kind of hissing or squeaking?
my gliders pop at each other and often at me when they're in a good mood. The second audio sounds more like it's just talkative... But if she's showing other signs of discomfort it could very well be a UTI. Have you been able to feel for any swelling on her tummy? ruling out the possibility that it hurts to breathe and such?



When urinating she doesnt make any noises- she does it more so when shes pooping but again- that isnt everytime. I cant feel her tummy because we got them as adults and so theyre not used to us- that or shes really aggressive- because were able to hold the male but not her (she bites). But since she isnt hissing when she pees could that be ruled out?
Question
avatar
Dec 01 2022
08:26:03 AM
GandKaidos Glider 53 Posts
And her urine is a normal color, normal amounts (as far as you can tell)
I totally understand her not wanting to be touched! I have gotten all of my suggies as adults. It's a slowwwww process of love. If she's on the side of the cage and you can get a look at her tummy and her little pouch looks normal and there's no discoloration or wetness.
if she's not seeming to be in pain when she's urinating then I would rule out the UTI. if she is making noises when she's BREATHING it could be some sort of Suggie cold. If her nose is an off-color she could be cold. As winter is here now they need a little more draft control and coziness. I realize I'm now giving you more work and things to think about. But it's always better to be safe than sorry.
If she's making sounds when she's pooping more... Try and see what her poops look like. If they are always a sort of off color and she's making that sound.. try and figure out what you fed her that could be making it thus..
You're a good glider parent!!
Question
avatar
Dec 01 2022
05:41:50 PM
Daniwolf9005 Starting Member 4 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by GandKaidos

And her urine is a normal color, normal amounts (as far as you can tell)
I totally understand her not wanting to be touched! I have gotten all of my suggies as adults. It's a slowwwww process of love. If she's on the side of the cage and you can get a look at her tummy and her little pouch looks normal and there's no discoloration or wetness.
if she's not seeming to be in pain when she's urinating then I would rule out the UTI. if she is making noises when she's BREATHING it could be some sort of Suggie cold. If her nose is an off-color she could be cold. As winter is here now they need a little more draft control and coziness. I realize I'm now giving you more work and things to think about. But it's always better to be safe than sorry.
If she's making sounds when she's pooping more... Try and see what her poops look like. If they are always a sort of off color and she's making that sound.. try and figure out what you fed her that could be making it thus..
You're a good glider parent!!


The tray is black so Im unsure of the color (Im assuming clear or lightly tinted yellow since they get lots of water and their primary fruit is grapes) and the amount is probably a quarter and a half (the size of a quarter like cents) usually. When Ive been able to see her pouch it doesnt look inflamed and her fur on her tummy is pretty fluffy so its a bit hard to see the actual skin color- but from what I saw it hasnt been colored weirdly or oozing any kind of substance. When you say off color for the nose what color would that be? Link (the male sugar glider) has always had a more pink nose than Zelda (the female sugar glider) so I never really questioned it- but its not deathly white or anything, just a more light pink- let me know if you think that might be an issue! Her poop is usually a dark brown or sometimes a desaturated/gray brown with sometimes a hint of olive coloration- I think that might be because the grapes though? Again please let me know what you think! Thank you!
Question
avatar
Today
07:00:07 PM
GandKaidos Glider 53 Posts
Grapes are great! I'd maybe switch it around a little more and pull back on the grapes. They can be high in something that for some reason is now totally blanking from my mind and can build up in their little bodies. I feed them grapes as treats and snacks regularly, but try for more apple for a bit and see if it changes up their #2's and makes them a consistent brownish color.
off color noses usually are purpleish. If no purple then yay! Every glider has a different nose, just like people, so it can be hard to say "this specific color is unhealthy" if they get cold their noses can be darker... But one of my gliders if especially sleepy and slow moving never has a bright pink nose until her heart rate rises, so sometimes it's just trial and error!

Link and Zelda are adorable names, by the way.
for the grape thing, don't freak out. food builds up a lot of whatever it has a lot of. Keeping a hefty variety can be tough sometimes! Don't stress....

I'd just keep working with them. Since you haven't seen any strange discoloration or any off type of anything else I'd say watch them and love em and listen and notice what sounds are happening when (which you're doing already yay!!) and keep getting to know them!! Gliders. Make. noise. I used to freak out and think something was wrong with them before I found out the sound they make when they clean themselves is literally just them spitting on their hands.. Then I SAW them do it and calmed down forever. Things happen! Keep up the good work!
Question
avatar
Today
09:21:25 PM
Daniwolf9005 Starting Member 4 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by GandKaidos

Grapes are great! I'd maybe switch it around a little more and pull back on the grapes. They can be high in something that for some reason is now totally blanking from my mind and can build up in their little bodies. I feed them grapes as treats and snacks regularly, but try for more apple for a bit and see if it changes up their #2's and makes them a consistent brownish color.
off color noses usually are purpleish. If no purple then yay! Every glider has a different nose, just like people, so it can be hard to say "this specific color is unhealthy" if they get cold their noses can be darker... But one of my gliders if especially sleepy and slow moving never has a bright pink nose until her heart rate rises, so sometimes it's just trial and error!

Link and Zelda are adorable names, by the way.
for the grape thing, don't freak out. food builds up a lot of whatever it has a lot of. Keeping a hefty variety can be tough sometimes! Don't stress....

I'd just keep working with them. Since you haven't seen any strange discoloration or any off type of anything else I'd say watch them and love em and listen and notice what sounds are happening when (which you're doing already yay!!) and keep getting to know them!! Gliders. Make. noise. I used to freak out and think something was wrong with them before I found out the sound they make when they clean themselves is literally just them spitting on their hands.. Then I SAW them do it and calmed down forever. Things happen! Keep up the good work!



Okay! Thank you for letting me know! We had given them Apple before but they kinda went savage for it so we were a bit anxious to give it to them again- but Ill definitely try to switch it up every now and then! Zelda has a pink nose so yay!! And thank you! Previously they were named Olive (Link) and Lightning (Zelda)- they thought Link was a girl originally and Zelda was a boy #128557; we realized later that Zelda had a pouch and we were like huh??- so my sibling renamed them- but anyways! Thanks so much for all the helpful advice! Ill definitely look out for this stuff and I appreciate you responding so diligently with my concerns! This was all very reassuring so thank you! >v<
My Sisters Female Sugar Glider is Making Nasal Sounds

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My Sisters Female Sugar Glider is Making Nasal Sounds