GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fast, uncontrolled tail wagging
Health related
Dec 25 2022
01:55:09 PM
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum because one of our gliders is showing an abnormal behaviour and I haven't found any information online.
The glider in question is about 7 years of age and started to have uncontrolled tail wagging. It is not the "s shaped" snake dance but a very fast, uncontrolled shake of the tail.

The glider seems to be annoyed with it eventually, grabs his tail and starts grooming it (so far the tail looks healthy, no bald spots or anything). Sometimes he curls the tail after.

This happens every now and then and not all the time. I also never seen it happening when he is busy eating or playing with toys. When it happens it seems to happen when he is sitting somewhere not doing anything.

Apart from that, his behaviour is absolutety normal. He looks healthy, eats, climbs, is as curious as usual and spends time with his buddy.

Does anyone in here have any idea what this behaviour could be or maybe even seen it first hand?

Thank you guys very much in advance
Health related
Sep 14 2023
02:04:59 PM
TerryAndBuddy Starting Member 2 Posts
Hello again,

unfortunately, he passed away this week. Turned out he had a diaphragmatic hernia from birth which made it hard for him to breathe.
Don't know if the tail wagging is related but we now have one grieving glider and I was wondering what experience you guys have with reintroducing a new friend.

Our remaining glider is an 8y old male and I want to introduce a new one of a similar age rather than young ones trying to show dominance over the "old guy".

Do you guys have more experience with male-male introductions or male-female?

Thanks a lot.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders