GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Interested in becoming owner, have a few questions
Food, Diet
Feb 09 2024
03:46:20 PM
Hello everybody!

I’ve been interested in sugar gliders for years but recently have been becoming more intensely interested and I’ve been learning as much as I can about their ownership and care requirements etc in order to be prepared before I decide to move forward. For the most part I have a good comprehension of the basics but I have a few questions I can’t seem to find answers to.

In regards to diet, I see TPG(or Priscilla) whichever you call it is no longer approved. I understand it’s mainly because of not knowing exactly what is in the vitamins, but I’ve also seen tooth issues linked with this diet. Are the tooth issues caused by too much sugar or is it something else? It doesn’t seem like there’s that much sugar compared to some of the other diets relatively speaking. I also saw that part of it is because of the discretion of the owners to feed the correct fruits and vegetables, which I guess is more limited for things like the BML diet vs TPG, but couldn’t you just feed the better listed ingredients instead? And lastly with TPG and sprinkling the vitamins, couldn’t that be eliminated by mixing the vitamins thoroughly with the thawed food before feeding? Just trying to make sure I have my info straight on why it’s not a great diet, it seems a lot of breeders I see feed it so I was curious. I’d imagine BML is probably the most popular diet due to ease of ingredients but is there any real benefit to feeding OHPW over that?

My next question would be in regards to Gatorade/Pedialyte. I’m imagining that once I do decide to move forward when I get them within the few days it would be good to add some to their water in order to ensure they’re hydrated, I have seen that orange Gatorade is the preferred why is that? No sugar free correct? I haven’t seen it spelled out that way but it seems sugar free would have some sort of artificial sweetener in it which I have read is dangerous. I have read a few of the emergency kits and such posts as well, so I have a decent idea of a few things to keep on hand just in case, but if anybody has a more comprehensive list or anything else they would like to share please feel free!

Sorry for my rambling, thank you in advance for the responses!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders