GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires
how long you should research before getting a suger glider
Research Information
Feb 19 2008
01:49:05 PM
Poll Question:
I researcher for 2 months around ...and it payed off...i got my glider and my report that i did on them went into a vet magazine.

Choices:

didn''t do any research
a day or two of research
a week of research
a month of research
two months of research
three months of research
more

Edited by - snowboard on Feb 20 2008 07:00:44 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 20 2008
07:59:16 PM
AJ Glider GliderMap Visit AJ's Photo Album 122 Posts
Honestly I dont think children should have gliders at all. They are too complex for kids to understand. If an adult is prepared to help that is great and I can see how it would be a great family experience. Assuming your mom is a competent Vet, I do feel a little better about you having them. Although, I really don't want to visit this forum in 5 years to see that you want to rehome them because you are "too busy" to take care of them anymore.
Research Information
Feb 21 2008
04:43:14 AM
Jett Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Jett's Photo Album Jett's Journal Australia 681 Posts
It took me two years of research before I was ready for my gliders. During this time I not only found out the good and bad points but found a good vet and saved up for a large aviary for them to live in and also could afford two gliders to start with.

I also agree with AJ, I don't think they are an animals that a child should have.

Edited by - Jett on Feb 21 2008 04:56:43 AM
Research Information
Feb 21 2008
09:08:08 AM
RunningCantalope Glider Visit RunningCantalope's Photo Album RunningCantalope's Journal NC, USA 52 Posts
my little brother asked me for one, and I flat out told him no....Not to be mean, but I couldnt imagine even having sugar gliders in high school, let alone having one earlier than that...I mean, it's just that you don't know how your schedual is going to change, your lifestyle is what an animal like a sugar glider depends on. They can live up to 10-15 years! that means you need a perminant experianced pet-sitter if you ever plan to go outta town, hopefully you'll have kind enough roomates/husband/wife/GF/BF that will do that for you. I took care of exotic birds when I was younger and these guys I think are just as hard-if not harder to maintain. Especially in diet. If you really do plan to get a sugar glider, you should spend your time until then doing as much research as possible and include your mother in your findings so she can help you out! best wishes.
Research Information
Feb 24 2008
02:46:09 AM
miss doolittle Super Glider GliderMap Visit miss doolittle's Photo Album miss doolittle's Journal USA 283 Posts
I now believe that when you do research an you think you know everything, do some more. Special when it comes to these little critters. Bt I was given my suggies, an knew NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I was on learning over load the instant I got them home. That was back in July. An have been on the learning train since.
Research Information
Feb 24 2008
07:19:08 AM
SugarLoafin Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit SugarLoafin's Photo Album CO, USA 1755 Posts
As with everything in life its a constant learning experience.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 02 2008
07:26:12 PM
LittleMissGliderLover Joey Visit LittleMissGliderLover's Photo Album 31 Posts
I am only 14, but I have a sugar glider and looking for another. But, I am responsible. I have her in the bonding pouch all on weekends and from 3pm to 7:30pm when I get home from school. And, I play with her in my room from 9:00pm-midnight or later. I did do many months of research before actually getting one though. I just really love animals--especially suggies.

I know what you mean about like kids not having them. I can't imagine any of my friends to be responsible enough. It is a lot of work, but I give mine a great home no matter my age.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 02 2008
02:38:22 PM
DuDex Joey GliderMap Canada 31 Posts
I don't know how long you should research - but definately a good amount of time. I have been interested in Sugar Gliders for the past 5 years but it took me 6 months of research before I finally got myself my own pair. I couldn't be any happier and am sure glad I did the research that I did !
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 02 2008
03:17:31 PM
LovingLife123 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit LovingLife123's Photo Album LovingLife123's Journal USA 1069 Posts
I was wanting one for a long time about 2 yrs so I did some research but my life was hectic at the time and my boyfriend wasn't so sure about it. Than about 6 months ago he jokingly said that we were getting some but we had to get two b/c if I got one then he wanted one :). So I did even more extensive research knowing that I would be getting two. So I think alot of research should be done and time and consideration should be given before purchasing these babies as pets.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 04 2008
08:40:12 AM
Yvonne Fox Joey GliderMap NC, USA 38 Posts
I researched for about 2 1/2 years before I got my first ones. I still research every chance I get in case I run across something I did not know before. All 10 of my gliders are happy for it too!!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 17 2008
04:09:53 PM
anjuli503 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit anjuli503's Photo Album USA 823 Posts
i couldnt really answer this poll
i dont think theres a timeline on researching. Some people take it in better than others. You should go at your own pace, and learn all you can about them, and ask people for their honest openion is about getting a glider. outsiders can see a lot you cant.
Even after you get a glider your research still needs to continue if you wish to be a good owner.
but with that said i dont think children should have gliders. I think maybe their parents can, and the child could help with the care of the glider, but a child should not be the sole caretaker.
Also i got one of mine without knowing much at all. He was my bf's and when my bf moved he couldnt take him, so i had been around him a bit, and given him his food once in a while but i really didnt know anything!thank goodness bumbum was perfect, and my bf already had him on decent diet! so i did my research and took a crash course basically! i took everything in i could and kept going. a while later i ended up getting 2 more, and they werent fromt he best homes, so they werent in the best shape or had the best attitude and boy am i glad i had done research. If i ended up with theses 2 as my first it would have been tough for a very long time!
to this day even though my little ones have passed i continue to keep myself updated and do research. I dont think i'll ever know it all. One day( hopefully soon as we are in the process of buying a house!) I will get more.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 26 2008
11:22:13 PM
Stripedfire Super Glider GliderMap Visit Stripedfire's Photo Album Stripedfire's Journal USA 386 Posts
I think that anyone can be responsible enough to own a sugar glider. Whether they are 12 or 56 (not picking on anyone. Just random age selection). Those who are not responsible enough choose not to be. I know that I am responsible enough and I'm not even 14 yet. I just needed a bit more experience with small animals. And maybe a push. But I think I have learned almost everything about sugar gliders. That will probably be proven wrong very easily, but I still know more about gliders by looking on this site for the past month or so, than my VERY experienced friend. I'm just incredibly glad I researched first. But keep in mind that there are 46 year olds out there that would kill a sugar glider within 2 days because they aren't responsible. Age doesn't matter. It's mindset.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 27 2008
04:28:10 AM
lollysdaddy Joey 36 Posts
i have to agree with the last quote of Stripedfire...

"Age doesn't matter. It's mindset."

Very well said... I'm 18 and was given my glider, a cage (small 1.5x2.5x3 bird cage), and a bag of dried food from a friend who was allergic and had no experience or idea of anything about them at all, for a $100 and had no experence myself... After getting the glider, i started studying gliders and spending hours, sometimes nights, at a time looking up as much as i could... i have now had my glider since about January, and would think of myself as a good caretaker... i now have two gliders in a 3.5x2x5.5 cage that i built myself, who are on a BML diet, and have many toys and a lot of play time... i don't believe age is an adequate measure of responsibility... Granted, i may move out soon, but i will only move into a place that will allow caged pets, it's just another sacrifice...
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 27 2008
04:42:39 AM
lollysdaddy Joey 36 Posts
only things i disagree with is, sorry, but you should never say you know everything about anything...

And even if you are educated and ready, that isn't always enough... i would be sure that your parents are 100 percent supportive of you... I mean, even if you are the sole provider, at your age, i'm pretty sure you don't have a job... And if you have a glider and have an emergency, and need to take it to the vet, i'm guessing you would not be able to pay for it... That is where you would need the complete support of someone else... You would need to be sure that if u needed to take you glider to the vet, your parents would help you, no questions asked...

I'm not saying you shouldn't have one... I respect the idea that you've done so much research at your age and i think that that shows responsibility... I'm just saying this for the sake of your future gliders... Just make sure that your not taking in pets that you can't care for, no matter what their need is...
Research Information
Aug 02 2008
04:25:54 AM
itsmel730 Joey Visit itsmel730's Photo Album 15 Posts
I've been researching sugar gliders for about a week or two now. That may seem like a short time, but when I say research them, I've really researched them. I've been online finding out every possible thing I can all day for days. I can't wait to get my new little guys so this is the only thing for me to do! And anytime I think of anything I'm not sure of, I ask someone on here or another suggie website. I feel that I'll be ready in a week or two!
Research Information
Aug 11 2008
05:18:40 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
I never did any research and got mine when I was 14 as an impulse buy (we learned about them in VBS and they were colored pink and I wanted a pink flying kangaroo) and I've had mine for several healthy years... my mom helped a bit but in the end they were my responsibility.
Research Information
Dec 13 2016
09:24:07 PM
MaekjusMommy Joey Visit MaekjusMommy's Photo Album 45 Posts
Im a homeschooled 16 year old and wanted a glider for years but to be honest would have never gotten one if i hadnt had rescued Mae. I did research for years and i still dont know everything. Ive done odd jobs for years and i have an emergency vet fund of 700 dollars. I completely agree that age doesnt matter. I dont think most teenagers should have gliders but some can.
Research Information
Dec 13 2016
10:49:43 PM
minime3 Glider Visit minime3's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
I had less than 24 hrs to research before I got Mine! I had heard of sugar gliders but never saw one or thought of owning one. But after a desperate phone call one night, I had my Minnie the next morning! That was about too months ago! I still am looking for anything I can on them. I'm feeling a lot more relaxed and comfortable, thanks to this site and the wonderful knowledgeable people on this site ( thank you Leela ) but I will never stop researching because new things are always being discovered. I have worked with dogs and cats for over 25 years but I still learn new things about them!
Also I am a big advocate for children having pets and being responsible for them as long as there is a responsible adult overseeing them. Animals can teach us so much! I couldn't imagine life growing up without animals. They have kept me grounded for sure! I feel Minnie came into my life at just the right time, I could've been more prepared but we both survived and I wouldn't have had it any other way!
Research Information
Mar 03 2017
11:54:08 AM
RedGliderLover Starting Member 9 Posts
It depends on what information you find. I happen to know a breeder in my area and someone who has had suggie's for years. I've only done about a weeks worth of research, but I've decided my breeder, what diet I'm going to use, where I'm going to get my supplies, when I'm going to get my glider, how to take care of them, a vet in my area that sees gliders, the location of my cage, what I'm going to do when I go out of town, and all the downsides and troubles of owning a suggie. I believe that it's not how long you research, but what you find when you research. I still am researching about sugar gliders, but I believe that if I needed to I could care for a suggie right now. Another great way to research suggies is to ask questions and get advice from suggie owners on this forum. Anyone can own a suggie if they are responsible and patient enough. Well, that's my imput. Have a great day everyone!

-RedGliderLover
Research Information
Nov 06 2017
05:16:32 PM
WesleyHearts Starting Member Visit WesleyHearts's Photo Album MO, USA 4 Posts
I'm pretty new here, and fairly new to owning sugar gliders. I first started researching sugar gliders almost a year and a half ago when I saw them at a ComicCon (you know who was selling them - I'm glad I didn't buy gliders right away from them!). I've been researching them ever since, and my research continues as I just got three lovely babies for free from a local breeder that needed them gone. It's their breeding pair and the male's sister. I'm learning that they may have not been the best owners, as they were just feeding them glide-r-chow with some of the other pp products (excluding the hpw mix), and some cut up cantaloupe every night. No variety! The gliders were very grateful when I gave them some apples and other fruits & veggies. The previous owners never interacted with them, but I'm making a surprising amount of progress with the two females! By the way, I'm 17, in my junior year of High School, taking care of these three babies on my own. I think with the right amount of determination and willpower, even younger people can learn to take good care of these amazing creatures.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires