Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
sterile males?
sterile males?
Food, Diet
Jan 06 2011
09:49:37 AM
I was reading a few topic's out here which brought up a question for me...

I've heard males can be sterile, or shoot blanks... what if the glider was from a mill breeder or someone who feed their gliders a pellet diet and feed that for years. Would this cause the males to become or be sterile? could it be reversed if the glider then was changed onto a well balanced/ approved diet? I know sometimes it's because of color? (I could be wrong)

Suggies just bring up so many questions for me... just out of plain curiosity.... they are just such amazing animals... and I always learn some new information about them. <3 learning <3 just as much as animals/ suggies

Okay done rambling... back to work
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2011
10:19:01 AM
renee14150 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit renee14150's Photo Album 1850 Posts
I certainly don't have any hard evidence - but when I got my pair m/f the were about a year and half old - the are not related. The woman I got them from had wanted joeys and couldn't understand why they hadn't had any.
When I got them home, I found this site and changed from pellets to HPW - and within about 4 months mama was prego. Both of my males are neutered now. I can't really say whether or not it was because of the pellets but it does make me wonder. I never really wondered if it just affected the male - I more wondered if neither were healthy enough to make it happen.
Again, i'm not expert and I'm sure there could be other reasons as well - just not sure
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2011
10:36:58 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
A poor diet can cause gliders not to have successful breeding. In that case a change to a good diet may improve the pair's ability to produce joeys.

I think the OP is referring to the fact that there are some Mosaic color gliders that are known to have a genetic defect that results in sterile males. In that case, the sterility is inherited and a change in diet will not reverse the situation.

Food, Diet
Jan 06 2011
11:35:26 AM
virtual_diver Face Hugger Visit virtual_diver's Photo Album virtual_diver's Journal USA 574 Posts
I've read that in the wild, gliders don't have joeys when food is scarce. My thought, when food is scarce or when they are not fed properly they may not assist with the birth since mom & dad assist the baby to reach the pouch. I've often wondered if this isn't the main reason for cannibalization the young.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2011
02:23:08 PM
Kozi Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Kozi's Photo Album Kozi's Journal WI, USA 1278 Posts
Another reason for not breeding could be the female.. The girl can pull the joeys whenever she pleases, even when they've only been in the pouch for a day or two, before you'd ever notice. If she's doing this on a regular basis she'd essentially 'never get pregnant'.. or rather, never have joeys. Pretty much not carrying them to term. (I know 'pregnant' and having them 'IP' is different, trying to explain it the best I can though. XD) We knew of one girl who was with another girl and a boy, and not only would she pull her own, but she would attempt to pull the other girl's joeys too. Some females just don't want joeys, I guess. =/
sterile males?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
sterile males?