Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Breeding sugar gliders? What is TOO old?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 11 2011
04:10:02 PM
Ok, I am new to this site so im not completely sure how it all works. I am finally able to get a pair of sugar gliders. I have been researching for about a year now but i still have a few questions about breeding. I don't know if i am going to breed but i would like to know a few things just incase i do down the road. I understand that the females can get hurt or even the males during mating..that the females can canibalize (*Spelling), and that they can reject them and you would have to hand feed them!! Anyways*Catches breath* My few questions are::

When is a female too old to breed, if she has never been breed before? I know they shouldn't be breed till 1 year atleast but i have never read anywhere what is too old if she has never had a litter?? The answer would be MUCH appreciated :)

Another question, If it is a male female pair, and the male is neutered, would it be OK to find a glider for stud as long as they weren't inbreeding and you new the lineage?? OR would the neutered male be mad at the female, because i know there needs to be a male to help raise the young but im not sure if it needs to be the same male or if it could be one in the colony. If it makes a difference, i wouldn't be selling them, it would be to ad to the colony...

Anyways, please don't get mad i am just trying to research a bit more and haven't found any answers to those questions. Thanks very much if you answer!!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 11 2011
04:20:24 PM
Ikaria Face Hugger Visit Ikaria's Photo Album WI, USA 732 Posts
Breeding gliders is something that is not recommended, especially if you are starting out with your first pair of gliders.

There is no set age for a female glider, if she doesn't want to breed anymore, it doesn't happen.

Good luck finding anyone to "stud out" their sugar glider. First of all, that would be extremely stressful to both the male and your current pair. You would be seperating a bonded pair to get the female bred by a strange male whom she might not get along with. It's not like you can toss her in with a male, let them breed, and be done with him. There needs to be a 30 day quarantine before new gliders are ever in the same room as one another and then doing introductions is a time consuming process. You would take the female away from her "mate" and introduce her to a new one, she would become bonded with him and then you take her away again. The stress alone would cause the entire pregnancy to FAIL.

My apologies ahead of time, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Get your pair and be happy and find out if they really are right for you. No need or reason to breed unless you have gliders with color and lineage. Does the female have lineage? If not, chances are even IF you found someone without their own gliders well-being in mind to breed her to, even if that male glider has lineage, you are still quite possibly inbreeding.

If you want to add to the colony. Purchase joeys from a reputable breeder. Preferably females and introduce them into the pair as long as all males are neutered.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2011
04:28:25 PM
Kozi Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Kozi's Photo Album Kozi's Journal WI, USA 1278 Posts
From some breeders I've spoken to.. Well, some retire pairs, for whatever reason. Some believe it's best to let the mother do as she pleases, if she feels she's capable of having joeys she generally will, if not, she'll pull or eat them, honestly. If a mother doesn't feel like having joeys, at age 10.. or age 1.. she will pull them. There's no doubt about it and no way to stop her. It's all entirely up to the mother.

I forgot to mention.. that's assuming they breed and all goes 'well'. Sometimes the female may not be interested in breeding or the male may be too aggressive and she may end up with a mating wound.. This can cost hundreds to take proper care of by a vet. All that said.. it should be obvious that there are many risks to breeding.

Edited by - Kozi on Jul 11 2011 04:30:13 PM
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 11 2011
04:30:47 PM
imbored12368 Joey 26 Posts

You don't have to be rude. I was not saying i was going to do that, i was simply asking a question. I don't think breeding should be done just to get a new color. IF i was going to breed any sugar gliders it would be for my own personal pets :) I don't want to get off as an irresponsible person on here because i would like to ask questions and learn more about them..

My next question is this...Would you suggest (as a pair) a male/male, a female/male, oe a female/female??

Also, is there a link or could you explain to me what the quarantine does, or is it for parasites, etc? Thanks
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 11 2011
04:39:03 PM
I wasn't trying to be rude and my apologies. But, other new members can come across this thread and think it's a smart idea.

Anyways, to each his own. I have a cage with 2 neutered males and 1 female and they are wonderful. I also have a cage with a male/female pair and they are just as great. I don't have a pair of females together. Each glider has a different personality and character about them. It's up to you if you want male/male, male/female, or female/female.

Quarantine is if you purchase 2 gliders from 2 different places. The gliders need to be kept in different areas of the house, preferably as far away as possible. It is for general health purposes and parasites. When you first get gliders they should both receive a wellness exam and fecal float. You then begin 30 day quarantine. The gliders are kept separate in their own set-ups for 30 days. Wash your hands in between handling each glider. After 30 days, both gliders should receive another fecal float to be sure any dormant parasites have not become active in that 30 days. Most parasites if they are present will show themselves after this time period. If both gliders get the all clear you can then put their cages next to each other so they can grow accustomed to the other glider's scent. You then begin introducing them, slowly, to prevent fights and a bad first impression. Once they are successfully introduced, they may be caged together.

If one or both show parasites after the 30 days they need to undergo the specific course of treatment for whatever parasite they do have.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 11 2011
05:05:31 PM
Thank you :) Sorry if you got the wrong idea, it probably isn't a good idea for me to show up and my first post be about breeding lol, but that was the first question that poppedinto my head.

About the introductions..If they are both healthy and without parasites after the 30 days, once they have gotten use to each other with no problems, what cage would you put them in, would you put them in a completely new cage that neither has been in before or does it not matter? I'm not really sure if they are territorial creatures or not, it seems like they could be but im not exactly sure
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2011
05:10:49 PM
Shorty_n_ClarasMama Face Hugger Visit Shorty_n_ClarasMama's Photo Album 914 Posts
Oh...just wanted to add you need to change clothes and wash up well after handling the gliders while they are in quarantine. They love to run all over you, and get under your clothing and mine even get in my hair. Just wanted to add that!

As far as "the recommended" or "best" pairing: It all depends on personality. I have a male/female pair and they get along excellent. I got them together as a bonded pair.

I really do not suggest even thinking about breeding at this juncture. I've read so many sad stories, saw such cute photos of lil ones, and then read updates on how they were found dead, or partially or completely cannibalized.

Plus, two gliders are a lot of work in themselves. They need plenty of bonding/playtime, and it's best to see if you can handle that (and their care) long term. Many gliders are given up when the "novelty" wears off. I did years of research before even looking into getting a pair!

This forum is a great place for info. Yeah, sometimes members come across as harsh, but when you've seen as much and heard as much as many of the members here, it kinda happens.

Check out the rescourses tab and read up on nutrition to find out what you will be feeding your gliders. Also, read the gliderpedia tab...it's a wealthy of information!

Welcome to the board~!!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 11 2011
05:11:50 PM
Gliders can be very territorial. Intact males will mark using their scent glands. Neutered males will sometimes still mark but the odor is considerably less than that of intact males due to the scent glands eventually closing up.

After the 30 day quarantine, it is recommended that they be introduced in a neutral cage with neutral pouches, toys, wheel, etc. You can thoroughly clean one of the current cages with a 10& vinegar and water solution to remove any odor and wash the current pouches etc. As long as everything is cleaned and neutral you should be just fine.

Edited by - Ikaria on Jul 11 2011 05:12:59 PM
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 11 2011
05:29:49 PM
Thanks to both!!!

I have already decided i will be feeding the HPW..It seems to be a good price, easy to come by (even though you have to order online), and also i haven't heard any complaints..I don't understand why some people don't want to feed a homemade diet, it seems kind of fun lol.

As for which i would get, i think either a female female, or else neutered male/female... I don't think i will be breeding, and if i ever do it would be a longgg time down the road. I would like to first get a pair of gliders, etc. Wish me luck with that!!

And i do have a few questions too about behaviour, do they mind being petted (in general, i know it depends on the individual), do they mind being held, or will they want to escape? And lastly how energetic are they? what would you compare them to based on energy?? Thanks so much :) wish me luck finding a pair too lol!!!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2011
07:03:50 PM
jjmurph Face Hugger GliderMap Visit jjmurph's Photo Album USA 836 Posts
they are the most energetic and curious animals you will every find! :) at least mine are but im pretty sure all of them are mine HATE being held they like climbing on my arm and running up to my shoulder they will ALL want to escape until your bonded to them
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2011
07:25:55 PM
JeremyLexie Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit JeremyLexie's Photo Album USA 1190 Posts
It's much easier to get at once from same place, same size.... to do away with quarantine. Keep them away from other animals, cats, dogs, etc... Please do not purchase from Pocket Pets, or another mill breeder. Try craig's list or the classified. Older gliders still need and make great pets, trust me!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders