Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Toy Tutorial #2: Basic Swing
Information
Apr 07 2012
07:19:43 PM
Hello! Today I'm going to show you how to make a basic swing. It's really simple. I really like these plastic totes/organizers you can find at Hobby Lobby, any office supply store, everywhere really! This pink one I found 2 for $1 at Target.

Drill holes.

Cut off excess plastic.

Add chain. (For the C links that I am using, I use a 3/16 drill bit)

<b>Also, be sure to check your chain before using. Run your wrist lightly over the chain to make sure there are no sharp edges. There was a recent and horrific accident involving chain that was not made properly and the poor glider was badly hurt. So, on the safe side, PLEASE check and double check your chain.
</b>

Ta dah! You have made a swing. OR you can use Rex Lace and pony beads and string them up...like I did HERE...

The main thing is, the HEAVIER your toy is going to be, the more you want chain to support it. And I really wouldn't recommend using the Rex Lace and bead method if you have some notorious chewers.

***BY THE WAY, a word of warning. BEFORE I became more acquainted with gliders, I thought they were super duper agile. (And they are!) But this was the first swing I ever made:

HORRIBLE, right? First of all, if you're going to do something as silly as I did, put it low to the ground. You don't want them miscalculating a jump, and bump their head, now would you? (But I am posting my mistake here so you don't think the same thing. SAFETY FIRST. *****

NOW, back to the fun stuff. So say you're not satisfied with your basic swing. It NEEDS stuff. You could add pom poms, Easter eggs, toy soldiers, ducks, whatever you want. But it still looks sort of boring. SO...

You can add shapes!!! These I got at the Dollar Store. (In the Party Favors section.)

OR connect it to another plastic tote/organizer! (As you can see, this time I decided to use beads. )

Three is a nice, well-rounded number....

And then you can add plastic bracelets, or rattles, or cat bells (NO CATNIP!), or whatever you want. (I recommend foraging cups. You CAN'T have too many foraging cups. Foraging makes a toy more fun! )

There you go! Have fun and be creative.

Edited by - RChurch on Apr 07 2012 07:21:02 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2012
07:21:06 PM
TONYA1W1 Super Glider Visit TONYA1W1's Photo Album TONYA1W1's Journal USA 216 Posts
looks good
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2012
07:26:42 PM
StellaAnLuna Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit StellaAnLuna's Photo Album 1063 Posts
Very neat!:) I LOVE your toys.:) When I get my fuzzies in 2 years I would love too buy toys from you.:)

~Erica~
Information
Apr 07 2012
07:33:19 PM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by StellaAnLuna</i>
<br />Very neat!:) I LOVE your toys.:) When I get my fuzzies in 2 years I would love too buy toys from you.:)

~Erica~
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Aw..thanks! I don't sell my toys, though. I'll be happy to do either an official or unofficial gift exchange with you, though, any time!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2012
07:39:56 PM
StellaAnLuna Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit StellaAnLuna's Photo Album 1063 Posts
I will definetly do gift exchange when I get my fuzzies.:) I would love to do gift exchange now but I dont ggot fuzies yet, SO I cant... Cant wait though.:)

~Erica~
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2012
07:48:07 PM
dancingbeyor Face Hugger Visit dancingbeyor's Photo Album 423 Posts
Yup, I'm going to make this! :) I can't wait until I have my fuzzies. Then I can do gift exchange to! :)
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2012
07:56:29 PM
lilangels Super Glider Visit lilangels's Photo Album 315 Posts
nice toys
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2012
08:28:31 PM
fazioli Face Hugger Visit fazioli's Photo Album 906 Posts
This is a great idea!!! Thanks so much for sharing!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 08 2012
06:30:17 AM
icuspeak Joey Visit icuspeak's Photo Album 39 Posts
Thank You ever so much. You really don't know how much I appricaite seeing your toy makeing post. I have ideas but for some reason I can have it in my mind but I can't apply it. Always been that way. So seeing you do this makes me want to do it cause the ideas I have you have applied for me. It's like you are my second brain. LOL. Just Kidding. But I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I really enjoy seeing your post. Keep them coming. They are soooooo GREAT.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 08 2012
09:26:34 AM
DoubleBogey Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit DoubleBogey's Photo Album USA 1244 Posts
Rebecca is a saint. I know how much work it is to build up a tutorial. You are a good lady!
Information
Apr 08 2012
05:59:32 PM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleBogey</i>
<br />Rebecca is a saint. I know how much work it is to build up a tutorial. You are a good lady!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Aw...I am NOT a saint! I really enjoy making toys, and it was nothing to take pictures as I crafted...In fact, it gave me a bit of a break, so I was grateful for it!

But seriously...those of you who make toys using my tutorials? PLEASE post your pics. It would make me very happy to see what good comes of my tutorial. Even you lurkers/shy ppl...you don't have to say anything. You would make my day just with a pic.

Look for more to come...Will probably do a tutorial every month, especially since there's a Gift Exchange once a month. (Coincidence? Hmmm...could be...)
Information
Apr 13 2012
10:00:29 AM
Oh, and here's an updated pic of the single swing but with cat bells (no catnip):

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2012
06:19:04 PM
JeremyLexie Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit JeremyLexie's Photo Album USA 1190 Posts
I love the cat bells and foraging cups, wish i could be that creative
Information
Apr 13 2012
08:05:16 PM
You can! Just follow my tutorial!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 14 2012
11:06:21 AM
GliderMommy Super Glider Visit GliderMommy's Photo Album 302 Posts
Thank you for these.... they are awesome! Love the step by step instructions, so helpful!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders