Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar glider railroad
Texas to New York
Texas to New York
Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2012
03:44:45 AM
Hey everyone I need some help here. I would like to get a colony of gliders for my male glider who is by himself, I don't want him to be lonely when I bring him home. Here's my dilemma I've searched for months now for gliders all over New York and can't find any( even though there should be a lot around this time). The only place I can find is in Texas thepetglider.com website, even though they ship I don't want to do that to them I would love it if a couple of you guys could help me get them to me. I haven't bought them yet but I would reply like to get this really cute and friendly colony. Please guys help me out here!!!
Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2012
08:39:52 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Hi Steph. I dont mean to be negative, but please know that introducing a single to an existing colony is difficult and can be deadly. Just be aware. You might be better off just finding one other for starters. There are two sanctuaries in North Texas who certainly have singles available and there are more second-hand sources much nearer to you.

Also, please get familiar with the term Mill Breeder .

Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2012
10:10:20 AM
petluv15 Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit petluv15's Photo Album petluv15's Journal 1500 Posts
Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2012
10:29:43 AM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
Yeah, not sure where you've looked all over but I got a boat load on my first search....

http://www.hoobly.com/search?q=sugar+gliders+in+New+York
Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2012
11:11:12 AM
som3randomp3rson Face Hugger Visit som3randomp3rson's Photo Album 971 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Kazko

Hi Steph. I dont mean to be negative, but please know that introducing a single to an existing colony is difficult and can be deadly.

I have a lone glider who is about 4months old. I've been trying to find a rescue to take in so she can have a friend. Most of the rescues I've found are bonded pairs. I'm not going to split up a pair. But would it be unwise to try to introduce Luna to a pair? If another lone glider is a much safer option, I'd like to know now.
Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2012
11:43:49 AM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
You can intro a lone glider to a pair. I intro'ed Jasper & Zoey who have been together since they were 8wks.... to my Kodah who had been alone since he was 8wks....I got him when he was 5mo.

Just do it one on one...don't keep the bonded pair together and try tossing a lone glider in with them or even do an intro with them together...they could gang up on the single glider.

I did Jasper & Kodah...let them sleep together in the pouch all day ON ME...so I could monitor. They went back to their prospective cages that night.

Next morning I did Zoey & Kodah, again letting them sleep on me for the day. Back to their own cages that night, then the next morning I took them all 3 into the tent. They dove into the pouch and slept together all day. I cleaned the cage they would share and put them into it for the night. I stayed up all night making sure no fighting broke out. They've been together since.
Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2012
12:59:05 PM
ResaJane Face Hugger Visit ResaJane's Photo Album 411 Posts
I did pretty much the same thing JazzNZoey did when I introduced the 2 year old I rescued to the two joeys I got for him as buddies. I did it a lot slower though b/c there was such a size difference between REmi and Taz (Taz was half Remi's size). I kept them in separate cages next to each other and switched out their pouches every night then I'd keep them all in the same pouch around me during the day for a few weeks. They are all happy cuddle bugs now and will be getting two new play mates in about 6 weeks :)

Resa
Default, miscellaneous
May 19 2012
12:55:34 PM
som3randomp3rson Face Hugger Visit som3randomp3rson's Photo Album 971 Posts
Thanks ResaJane and JazzNZoeysmom. I've been looking at the gliders at LGRS. And there was another rescue in Texas I contacted. I think the woman who is in charge of it is named Val? Maybe I'm mistaken (I'm really bad with names), but I think that was it. I'm still waiting on a reply to that e-mail, and I haven't yet contacted LGRS. It just seems so much easier to find a rescued pair over a rescued single glider. Good to know that introductions between a pair and my Luna are just as possible. She really needs a friend or two her own size.
Texas to New York

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar glider railroad
Texas to New York