Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Cantaloupe Meal Worms - 1000x Time Lapse
Pictures
Sep 09 2012
08:13:12 PM
I threw this together today. I let the IR camera capture all night long.

Pictures
Sep 09 2012
09:00:06 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Thats crazy. Can you put cantaloupe in with any mealies? Camille says to use organic apple or organic carrots. Does it fatten them up?
Pictures
Sep 09 2012
10:24:16 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
The cantaloupe is gone within 2 days. I stopped recording because it kind of disappeared into the substrate and got boring. But there is nothing left of the cantaloupe. I usually use carrots for moisture and I will also use any leftover bones from cooking a whole chicken for instance. The mealies LOVE to bore through bones and they eat up any cartilage and connective tissues.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 10 2012
10:32:03 AM
ArchangelPamperedPets Glider GliderMap Visit ArchangelPamperedPets's Photo Album USA 71 Posts
I am gonna have to try that.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 10 2012
11:32:19 AM
nolaglider Super Glider Visit nolaglider's Photo Album USA 243 Posts
DOH! Ive been throwing mine away instead of giving it to my meal worm farm, I feel like an idiot now lol. Mine get fresh carrots and celery but I will be sure to let them eat the rinds from now on.

Kazko have you always had your farm all together like that? I do the 3 drawer setup with the filter and its alot of work to keep separating them especially with so many. Im thinking about maybe just putting them all in one to cut down on the labor of cleaning, separating, etc. so often.
Pictures
Sep 10 2012
12:25:15 PM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
That is awesome! They definately liked that cantaloupe!
Pictures
Sep 10 2012
01:27:44 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I have normalized to doing two drawers for some time now. (Worms and Nursery)
A better meal worm farm update

• Thin substrate and lots of egg crates in the beetle drawer give them a place to lay and hatch eggs.

• When larger worms are spotted in beetle drawer (8 weeks?), the whole thing gets dumped into the worm drawer and then refreshed. This extends the life of the worm drawer for a very long time as it keeps getting new substrate loaded with eggs.

• Worm drawer gets cleaned out once or twice a year.

• Worm drawer has a couple of paper egg crates stacked and adult worms flock to them to be easily harvested for feedings.

• The entire farm has a small exhaust fan to remove humidity which slows down the cycle and also keeps away mold, mites and bugs.

This one talks about the less often cleaning of the entire system/worm drawer:

Harvesting from an older and slightly different farm configuration:

Harvesting from an even older and more different farm configuration:

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat