Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cleaners and edible logs
Cleaners and edible logs
Question
Jan 28 2013
11:36:26 PM
My two boys sents seem to be getting stonger than ever, and I try not to wash their stuff to often because i know thats how they mark. I bought what i think is called critter bath powered, which the lady told me i could rub on them with a sock if they wouldnt go in a small bath pan with the dust in it. I have yet to try it, because it doesnt exactly say sugar gliders can use it too. I also seen citrus magic pet, its all natural and its for hard to bath pets like ferrets, hampsters,cats etc.

Then theres is also the edible logz for hampsters and small aniamls, they also have tree branches also. I know they like to chew on things and my dad cuts wood and i was going to have him bring a nice tree branch home but i didnt know how safe that would be. I also thought a tree branch or even a small tree that walmart sells back in their lawn in gardens that you would see in a zen garden would be nice for them to play on.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 28 2013
11:54:37 PM
unknownxcelebrity Super Glider Visit unknownxcelebrity's Photo Album unknownxcelebrity's Journal FL, USA 259 Posts
Sugar gliders don't need baths, waterless or otherwise. They will clean themselves and as long as they are on a good diet with clean bedding, they shouldn't "stink" there might be a slight musk smell to the gliders themselves, but nothing more than that. If these gliders are new and are just transitioning to a good diet, it could be while until the smell diminishes.

Unneutered males will smell worse than neutered males and females, keep this in mind.

As for the edible logs, I haven't used them, but anything edible from a petstore is probably filled with little to no nutritional substance, and would just fill them up and keep the gliders from eating their good food (fruits, veggies, protein, etc)
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 29 2013
01:02:18 AM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
If you want to use branches you will have to find out if it's a safe wood for them to have but it would be hard to know if the tree had been treated for any pests or diseases,and I would not use anything from a nursery. They use fertilizers and pesticides that would be toxic to pets. There are a few web sites that sell eucalyptus tree branches and leaves and even twigs that are organic...they love those. If you have a crabapple tree that does not get sprayed for any reason you could use branches from that.Apple trees typically get sprayed, cherry trees are toxic...you have to research...lol :)
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 29 2013
10:58:58 AM
lilianmtzc Super Glider Visit lilianmtzc's Photo Album 226 Posts
Then if you do find some unsprayed, untreated, nonpoisonous, non infected, not rough tree.. Phew. You should bake it or boil it to sanitize it. I recommend getting eucalyptus from eucproducts.com/
They're awesome and quick and definitely safe :) A lot of us use them.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 29 2013
11:08:24 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
DO NOT USE THE DUST BATH - These are intended for chinchillas.

Gliders have very small lungs and the powder could cause respiratory illnesses for sugar gliders.

If your boys are intact - neutering is the best way to greatly reduce their odor.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 29 2013
03:32:24 PM
amanda8111993 Glider Visit amanda8111993's Photo Album 104 Posts
hmm. I'm will most defantly look into all of this. I;m really glad i didnt use that critter dust even though petco say it would be okay! I'm starting to think that they are totally clueless about animals. The lady claimed at one point in time said they use to sell gliders but the was not that popular. Thanks for the suggestions everybody!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 29 2013
04:02:17 PM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
The "edible logs" at pet stores are made of reprocessed pine. Pine is toxic.

So - bad idea.

I have large apple branches and cork bark in my cages. Also - don't forget eucproducts.com!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 30 2013
10:15:19 PM
i was thinking cherry or maybe oak trees.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 30 2013
10:40:55 PM
lilianmtzc Super Glider Visit lilianmtzc's Photo Album 226 Posts
Unsafe woods/branches include;
Trees that bear pit containing fruits are NOT safe woods to use. These include; Apricot, Avocado, Cherry, Nectarine, Peach, Plum, etc.

Other unsafe woods include (but are not remotely limited to); Box Elder, Boxwood, Cedar, Oak, Pine, Red variety Maples, Walnut, etc.

I'd think they're both no-no's :( Sorry!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 31 2013
01:36:59 PM
it's fine. i just ordered some tree branches off that website everybody gave me:)
Question
Jan 31 2013
02:19:40 PM
unknownxcelebrity Super Glider Visit unknownxcelebrity's Photo Album unknownxcelebrity's Journal FL, USA 259 Posts
You and the suggies will love them, they smell amazing and your entire house will smell like a spa within twenty-four hours of putting them in the cage and the suggies themselves go crazy over Euc, whether it's branches, leaves, or chew sticks.
Question
Feb 01 2013
09:38:09 PM
that sounds so relaxing!
Question
May 27 2017
06:47:21 PM
Sugargliderworld Joey 15 Posts
Does anyone know where to get a log for sugar gliders.
Question
Jun 01 2017
01:57:50 PM
TXWolf Joey Visit TXWolf's Photo Album 42 Posts
Bluebonnet Sugar Gliders
www.bluebonnetsg.com/?page_id=25

They make amazing cork toys for gliders!
Cleaners and edible logs

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cleaners and edible logs