Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
weird question-biting
weird question-biting
Food, Diet
Apr 06 2014
03:36:56 AM
Momo seems to have calmed down alot. He likes the stuff with my scent. He's eating all his food and snacks. He let's me pet him. But he still hops on the back of my hand and bites. I noticed today he was biting and chewing like he was eating what he tore off. Is it possible he just wants more meat? The bait store hasn't had fresh insects in a while so I put it off
Food, Diet
Apr 06 2014
08:38:48 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
When you see that he looks like he is going to bite either say NO firmly or make a PSSSSttt sound to get his attention and stop him from finishing the bite. this will let him know it is NOT acceptable behavior.

If you are going to purchase insects - get them from a pet store NOT a bait shop. The bait shop is not going to raise insects in a way that avoids mold building up in the bedding the insects are kept in and the mold could be very toxic to your gliders.
Food, Diet
Apr 06 2014
09:49:44 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
He may also be trying to groom you.

If they scrape their teeth(usually the bottom teeth)a crossed your skin like trying to debark a tree...it may be that.(?)

He may be trying to clean a scent off of you that he doesn't like or that is new to him.

When they groom you it can be very painful...but it's not like a chomp where they bite down hard and are trying to draw blood.

But I don't think he is trying to cannibalize you for more meat in his diet.
Food, Diet
Apr 07 2014
09:07:39 AM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
My joeys all went through the same stage that toddlers do, they want to put their teeth on everything, including me. The stage didn't last too long

I did see a "real bite" rom a glider. I took mine to the vet as soon as I got them (rescue), to be sure they were all ok. The vet got a "real bite" - and wow! Those teeth are LONG and can do a lot of damage.

The little love bites and nibbles ours give us aren't really bites at all :-)
Food, Diet
Apr 08 2014
01:29:47 AM
lynnrn02 Joey Visit lynnrn02's Photo Album 26 Posts
I've had some biters before. Something that works very well is to blow on them like a you are blowing out a candle. I tried saying no and making PSSTTT!! sound, washing my hands and other things without out success. I don't really think my glider realized he was hurting me. He was not doing it out of aggression. It was funny he just stopped in his tracks and looked at me. After about a week he stopped. He doesn't do it anymore.
Food, Diet
Apr 08 2014
01:31:36 AM
Sakuryu Glider Visit Sakuryu's Photo Album 84 Posts
Tried PSST last night. He didn't jump or look at me or anything, just stopped biting and went on his way.
weird question-biting

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
weird question-biting