Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Questions
Bonding Questions
Question
Apr 06 2014
08:46:15 AM
I got my little Mollie a week ago today. She was 10 weeks old. I feel like we are making some decent progress, but I just want to make sure. There is a wealth of information you can read on the internet, but I don't know how true a lot of this stuff is. I don't want to do anything to hurt my little baby or ruin the bonding process. Any and all help will be appreciated.

1: While we've made progress, I'm having issues with the "daytime bonding". She will not get into her bonding 95% of the time. I don't want to force her to do anything she don't want to do. So, I read somewhere that I can just pick up her sleeping pouch while she's asleep, and then just rub the outside of the pouch and talk talk softly to her. I also read that some people suggest putting my finger INTO the pouch to pet her. If that's is what I need to do, fine. But, it kind of sounds like a bad idea. I don't want to scare a probably already scared baby into biting. I mean, if I try to pick up her pouch, she is already doing some crabbing.

2: She is starting to trust me a little bit more I think. If I put my hand in her cage, she don't crab, but she my get a little bit scared and run to a corner or her wheel I am moving very slowly. However, now she will usually climb onto my hand. Problem is, a lot of the time she will crawl up just a bit further, jump of my arm, and proceed to run around the room. I know better than to chase her, as I said, I don't want to scare her. I usually have to wait a few minutes to coax her to me with some treats, then scoop her up and put her back. Is this normal?

3: I have also glider-proofed my spare bathroom. I have been taking her in there to "play" the last 2 days. Mostly, she hangs out on my shoulder. She may jump to the counter, then the floor, then once she's on the floor, she runs back and forth, like she is looking for a way out. Eventually, I will put my hand down so she can climb back up. She usually runs around it, which is a common problem when she is out by the way. Eventually when we are in the bathroom, she will climb back up my leg, and back up to me shoulder. I try rubbing her, and she lets me get like 2 rubs in, and moves to my other shoulder.

IS all this stuff normal? I am trying really hard to bond with her. I plan on getting a buddy for her to play with as soon as I can get the spare money. Other than getting another baby, any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Question
Apr 06 2014
09:12:18 AM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
I love that you talk to her during the day. A lot of people will tell you to wear your baby girl like a necklace (and at some point she may actually like that)... but while your still beginning the process of letting her get to know you, I wouldn't.

I think what I'd do is use this time in the beginning to let her know that you are her safe person. That she doesn't have to get anxious and be on the ready every time you come near, because you won't swoop in and grab her up every time your near.

Keep that talking to her throughout the day. And what I did...

Have some meal worms (or whatever her favorite treat is) already sitting there and open/ready to go. Pick up the sleeping pouch, and hold a treat at the opening. She'll come get it, if she isn't scared.

After a short time of doing this, before you know it, every time you pick up that pouch, she will poke her little head up over the edge of the pouch to great you and accept her treat . (It's so adorable... those little faces)

I never bring mine out of the cage in the sleeping pouch now (did for the first year or so). Now I wait for them to wake up, then open the door, and ONLY if I turn my hand palm down in the cage for them - they know they can come out if they want to. No palm down and they just come for pets and to investigate.

I have one that loves to come out and go meal worm hunting with me. I have one the will come out of the pouch through out the day if I'm in there changing toys or cleaning or trying to hide foraging foods. (He is the forager and wants to investigate EVERYTHING). Another will come out if I ask her to (put my hand, palm down next to her), but seems to be fine staying in the cage 99% of the time. They are all different.

Try to look at crabbing like you'd look at a dog growling. It's the only way they can tell you they don't like something, something scars them, please stop.

Now once you've spent time talking to her without touching the cage, and there is no crabbing. Then talk to her and open the cage door (not touching pouch) - and when she stops crabbing at that, leave the pouch on the cage and pet her. The instant the crabbing starts, you stop, back off, wait, then pet/and call it done. You don't want to bother her too much, this is her sleeping time. Just teach her that when she asks you to stop, you'll stop. That she doesn't have any reason to fear you.

I think it sounds like your doing a great job so far :-)

***Remember this. Night time is for eating and taking care of business. For them, this is the time that THEY DO. They come to you. If you want to offer a treat, hold it and let her come to get it. If she wants to come out, she will learn to come to you, will come to your hand/palm down and climb on, or show you in some way (hang upside down on the door latch etc) that she wants out. Day time is when YOU DO. It's the time when you can bring treats to them, bring your hand to them to pet them etc. At night, they come to your hand and you pet. It's a lot easier to work with nature. And it's a lot easier when you learn to read their body language etc. All that comes by watching and being patient.

Good job so far, keep up the good work! I'm so glad when I hear of these little guys being well cared for
Question
Apr 06 2014
09:51:26 AM
molliesdaddy Starting Member 3 Posts
Thanks very much! When I pick her up in the pouch to give her her treats, is it normal for her to crab at first?
Question
Apr 06 2014
02:42:39 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
yes, very normal.

Some glider may always crab a little too. Plus there is crabbing and then there is CRABBING!

I have a Momma glider that will crab if she hears me around the cage and she will stop crabbing if I peek in her pouch and she can see me.

Sometimes she will do her little "complaining crab" while he is enjoying a yummy snack while looking right at me.

When she is out of her sleeping pouch or during play time she will come to me, jump on me and take treats nicely(she didn't at first, she would lunge and grab the treat, so I used a tweezers to give her treats until she would take them nicely.)

It is just "her" personality is my guess. She's just more shy and reserved than all of my other gliders.
Question
Apr 06 2014
05:48:15 PM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
Good point... there is crabbing and there is CRABBING. lol So true!

A few of mine are like me... NOT morning people, and there WILL BE CRABBING when you or even another glider wakes them. But then the others are like the guys - mornings are great and you hear no crabbing, just sleepy curious looks.

You are doing great, it's neat as you go along to see your relationship develop together :-)

Question
Apr 07 2014
11:53:21 AM
anEgyptian Joey 33 Posts
i disagree with the person above sorry. They said when they crab back away give them a minute or what have you. I think you should continue to hold them and rub them without showing your nervous or anything. They are crabbing because they want you to leave them alone. Just like with biting you should try not to flinch or pull away despite how hard it is, you shouldn't let your glider be the one in charge. They should know they can crab all they want but it doesn't deter you from engaging them. At least thats what i think! =P
Behavior
Apr 07 2014
12:02:13 PM
Spydon Joey Visit Spydon's Photo Album 24 Posts
We had a bit of crabbing first week or so but as things settled down they are the quietest things EVA!!! although other night I heard for the first time barking from the Abey (think it was at Ickis for being in the wheel )
Question
Apr 12 2014
09:46:35 PM
ripdadio75 Starting Member ripdadio75's Journal 3 Posts
Just to jump in I got a baby boy glider about 3 days ago and he makes this noise then trys to bite, well does bite. It don't really hurt it just scares me and makes me scared to hold him. Any suggestions on how I can loose that fear and hold him?
Question
Apr 12 2014
10:17:32 PM
molliesdaddy Starting Member 3 Posts
Mollie still bites me after almost 2 weeks. Nothing trying to be mean, just nibbling on my fingertips. I'm not quite sure why to be honest. She's mostly sweet though. We really have not gained much ground since my last post though :/
Question
Apr 13 2014
11:37:36 AM
ripdadio75 Starting Member ripdadio75's Journal 3 Posts
Oh: it just scares me like he'll make this weird noise then try to nip at me. I just wanna be able to bond with him so went and bought him a bunch of yogurt covered fruit bars lol
Bonding Questions

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Questions