Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Self Mutilation.. I am so stuck.
Health related
Apr 07 2014
09:03:58 PM
My boy Echo has been chewing his tail. Like chewing it off. Let me take you through how the whole thing happened..

March 21st was the day I first saw it. He was out of his pouch during the day so I went over to the cage and I see his tail.. Bones. Blood. The whole shabang. Obviously I freaked out and called a vet (one I'd never been to before) immediately. We got in to the vet within an hour and the vet asked me questions like if he had been vaccinated, if he has a microchip, and what brand of food I feed him so I knew she obviously knows nothing about sugar gliders.. She said she'll need to do a partial tail amputation and I agreed.
After she finished the surgery she sent me him with antibiotic, pain meds, and narcotics to knock him out if he started going at it again.
March 29th The first night we ran out of the pain meds and he went at it again but it looked like a small piece of skin was on off the end. No bone from what I could tell.

April 2nd I ran out of the antibiotics and hoped things would get better but today I noticed the tail is looking purple which automatically makes me think infection.. I'm scared to death cause I don't know what to do. I spent $250 at the first vet visit and then had a car emergency a few days later and had to use all my emergency savings and have absolutely no money to take him back to the vet.

I'm going to call our regular vet tomorrow and see if there is anything they can do for me.
I'm just really scared for him.
Health related
Apr 07 2014
10:15:09 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Call the vet and get him in A.S.A.P. tonight. If he is in pain, he is not going to leave it alone and it won't take long to get infected.

You can apply for Care credit at the vet(call them and get it rolling). It is accepted at most vets now. If you pay it off in 6 moths there is no interest.

I would not wait until tomorrow. Prayers for you and your little buddy!
Health related
Apr 09 2014
09:42:34 PM
Kayla_Smith123 Glider Visit Kayla_Smith123's Photo Album Kayla_Smith123's Journal USA 146 Posts
Just want to give a quick update.

I called my regular vet as soon as they opened (Would've called as soon as I originally posted but I don't have any 24 hour exotic vets anywhere near me) and we got the financial part of it figured out. They'll take multiple checks and deposit them weekly until it's been paid.

I sent her a video of the tail and she said it doesn't look as bad as I think it does. She said the amputation does need to be redone but it doesn't look like an emergency situation. He hasn't been messing with it at all and she asked me to keep a close eye on him for the next couple of days.

She has to clear the financial plan with her boss tomorrow and she said hopefully I can bring him in on Friday for her to do the revision.

She said unless anything changes I shouldn't have anything to worry about over the next few days.

And thanks to Minnesota Zoo for pointing out a payment plan. I didn't know they could do that!
Health related
Apr 10 2014
12:44:08 AM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm glad your buddy is getting treatment underway.

Keep us posted on his progress.
Health related
Apr 10 2014
06:52:41 AM
BCChins Super Glider 219 Posts
Do you have an e-collar in case he keeps going at it. You should either make one or buy one. They are great to have n hand for any situation like this.
Health related
Apr 10 2014
12:26:09 PM
Kayla_Smith123 Glider Visit Kayla_Smith123's Photo Album Kayla_Smith123's Journal USA 146 Posts
Yes I did get an ecollar made just in case he starts messing with it again.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders