Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Constipation
Constipation
Health related
Apr 13 2014
10:27:36 AM
I am well aware that medical 'advice' isn't what this site is for. Just suggestions and personal experience. I am planning a trip to the vet this week anyway, but now think I may need to bump it up to sooner.

I noticed Lisle hiss once last night when she first woke up. She was in her 'pooping' position. She stayed in that position for only about a minute and then returned to eating. I observed her peeing very normally. She let me give her a little massage and I felt her belly as much as she would let me. I didn't have enough time to be able to discern a hardness, but I gave it a rub to try to stimulate, as you would with a baby.

I'm going to take a closer look at the tray in a few minutes. It was just cleaned, but they had blueberries last night and I may be seeing more blueberry spit bits than actual poop.

I've seen vet advice saying a couple drops of mineral oil or miralax as reliable and safe. I've also seen that some here offer pumpkin, prunes, etc. I'm leaning toward a couple drops of mineral oil today while she is asleep and then observing tonight and taking them to the vet first thing in the morning if I see the same signs tonight.

They haven't had an over abundance of protein as I've slacked off on their mealies this week. There is always juicy fruit (melon, etc) in their cage at night along with their staple. With the amount of liquid in their staple (Priscilla Price) I didn't think I would see much of an issue with constipation. The batch that they are currently eating also has less of the oatmeal in it so is more 'juicy'. Could the amount of applesauce in their staple cause this? I know that apples can, but am unsure about applesauce per se.

Any thoughts???

Health related
Apr 13 2014
11:41:25 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Yes, applesauce daily can contribute to constipation. Apples contain pectin - the active ingredient in Kaopectate given for diarrhea.

The oatmeal can also be a problem - good that you cut back on that.
Health related
Apr 13 2014
12:05:19 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I've been loving the 'fresh diet' but, always thought that the huge amount of applesauce was odd. She and many others have had glider absolutely thrive on this diet. My girls were raised on this as they came from Priscilla. Sigh. Maybe I'll also give Debbie a ring and see if she has some recommendations for adjusting the staple if they've seen this before. Some may be more sensitive than others.

I've looked up olive oil as well and found that it is safe. I'm going to give her a drop now. At least it won't hurt. And will follow up with the vet to make sure she doesn't have a more serious bowel obstruction or twist. Over cautious is better than the alternative.

Thanks Candy.
Health related
Apr 13 2014
09:02:01 PM
indiccarose Glider Visit indiccarose's Photo Album 114 Posts
You can also try some orange. My poor baby, venus, has had chronic constipation issues, the first vet gave me some laxitone, I finally got the money to bring her to a more experienced vet that did xrays and suggested megacolon. Eitherway, I now put cirtus into the rotation every week or so.
Health related
Apr 14 2014
07:26:58 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
The olive oil worked like a charm. I have a couple of the tiny syringes from the vet so just a couple little drops while she was sleeping at around 1pm and she was 'regular' shortly after waking up.

I would hate for her to have a chronic issue in her bowels, but will keep an eye out. Citrus is something I've not given them much. I'll put it into the rotation.

I know that when I have issues the usual over the counter meds are pretty harsh. I'd wouldn't want them to feel that way. The olive oil seems like a gentle way to go...but, only on occasion. Not for chronic issues.
Health related
Apr 14 2014
07:59:51 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
Glad to hear it worked!
Constipation

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Constipation